584,850 active members*
4,301 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Diemaking / Diecutting > Embossing die advice for 0.027 inch aluminum

Embossing die advice for 0.027 inch aluminum

Wanting to press a simple design into prepainted aluminum coil stock. Have thought about trying to make the blocks on a CNC router from some hard wood like oak or osage orange just to make a few pieces and see how it goes but the finer lines of the lettering might be a problem. Complete newbie to embossing but from some reading I figure I need both male and female dies (rather than male pressing into rubber block). What is a reasonable minimum line width to not damage the paint (seems to withstand brake operations very well)? How do I estimate the force needed? And what is a inexpensive material to make tooling for a few hundred pieces? Make one side and use epoxy to cast the other half? If I make one side how do I cast the other side with enough clearance or do I need to make a negative for each half?

Hoping to use a Whitney 5 T bench press.

Make one side of steel, the other of polyurethane. It comes in different durometer #, hardness from McMaster-Carr etc.