585,951 active members*
3,959 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Strange CAM behavior

Strange CAM behavior

Could someone please help me figure out a problem I am having? I have a fairly simple part drawn up in CAD and have created an NC path around the outside. When I go into CAM, select a tool, and do a 'go around' it completely skips one of the segments as it goes around. I have tried resetting it the object, deleting and recreating the go around. Nothing helps. I even tried completely deleting the perimeter in the CAD drawing and redrawing it.

The 2nd operation which is a chamfer step, is even funkier. It just randomly chooses segments to chamfer instead of following the perimeter.

Sample attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

No idea what is wrong with it.
    There are two curves before the line at the botton and it seems some entities are on one layer and some on another.

cleaned the profile up and put it back into CAM but still got the missing line in the profile. I can't do anything with the file in CAD, can't use the program. i find it more infuriating than Windows 8 and that's saying something.

However cleaned the profile up in VCarve pro and then did a fresh CAM files and it works OK.

See attached, don't know if you can use this info.

I finally got it working but I basically had to redraw everything. I originally created this drawing by:

Exporting Alibre model to a DXF and importing DXF into Dolphin
    Rotated the drawing so that the 2 large holes were parallel with the X axis

Then attempted to create my NC contours against that drawing which led to the funkiness. I thought it had something to do with the profile so I kept deleting that and recreating it which didn't fix the problem BUT here is how I was trying to do it:

delete profile
    placed larger circles around existing circles (by positioning them at the middle of the existing smaller circle)
    created tangent lines between circles
    trim, filet, etc, etc

What eventually ended up working was that instead of creating larger circles and placing them in the middle of the 2 bottom circles and then creating tangential lines across them, I ran a line down the X axis and created two intersecting lines where i knew the original circles were supposed to be and created the larger circles at those intersections. Once i did that and trimmed it up, everything was fine.

The reason I even thought to do that was because when I was in the geometry editor, I noticed that the original circles weren't EXACTLY on the X axis. One was something like .000001 off or some very miniscule amount - probably because I pulled the drawing in and then rotated it to align those 2 holes to the x axis. I still think my method of creating the large circles, tangential lines, etc should have worked but that is my guess as to why it didn't.

I saved your original file as a dxf and ran it in vcarve pro and it worked fine but wouldn't work when brought back into Dolphin.
    So it's got something to do with how dolphin reacts with the file.

If I get a minute I'll try this in Bobcad v24.

There is a problem with the original geometry, there were two lines drawn between the radii.

There are minute differences in the end points of the lines, the solution was to delete them both and create a new line using Line - At Angle, then use Intersect with Clip (Trim) items.

Created a new contour and machined it - file attached.

ATB
    Andre

I found and deleted the double radius and even drew a new line to join at the bottom but it still barfed out. Increased the gap tolerance and it still didn't work.

Didn't find two lines, only two radii, delete duplicates didn't work.

However VCarve ran the file OK once the double radius was deleted.

VCarve has a marvellous feature which is a one click "Show all open entities" and you follow this by a one click "Close all open entities"

However doing this and saving it as a dxf and bringing it back into Dolphin it still barfed out on that lower line