585,973 active members*
4,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: origin issue

origin issue

I just got solidworks 2013 as well as a trial of solidcam and im trying to make my first part and also put it into solidcam . I keep having a problem with the Y and Z axis being opposite. On a flat plate its making the Y axis what is supposed to be the z axis (plate thickness) . When i insert it into cam whether it be solidcam or gibbscam the plate is turned on its side. How do i fix this ?Heres a pic of my issue

Grizzly G0602-AXA QCTP<<< Soon to be CNC and 3PHA-VFD !
    7x14Lathe, X2cncmillG540 Solidworks,HSMworks,VcarvePro

I think i got it. Its a different coordinate system then cam which is why its turning on its side in cam . I made it on the top plane instead of using the front plane like i should have. Is that correct?

Anyway can anyone shed light on why it cant be made in the same coordinate type as a cam program or machine?
    Grizzly G0602-AXA QCTP<<< Soon to be CNC and 3PHA-VFD !
    7x14Lathe, X2cncmillG540 Solidworks,HSMworks,VcarvePro

When you draw your part just imagine Solidworks placing your part like it would be in a horizontal machining center.
    Later,
    Charlie

Can you make it appear with Z upwards? Usually Z is up. Not everyone uses a HMC.

I assume you can, but I've never spent the time to figure it out. I just make sure I click on the Front plane when I start drawing a part.
    Later,
    Charlie

Chris Duncan Guest
    There's a tool called Move/Copy Body. It will rotate a part. It's a "feature" tool but it may not be loaded in the default feature toolbar, you may have to custom add it. Or you can find it in the menu at-- Insert-- Features-- Move/Copy Body.

In Solidworks Right click on Sketch1 in the tree (left side). Click on Edit Sketch Plane. Choose the plane you want to work on.

Tip: When drawing a part always try to think of how the part will sit in a machine. Try to draw it like that.

I'm not sure how SC or GC works but I would think they are similar to BobCam in that you set up the machining origin within the cam program when setting up stock. In BobCam V3 for SolidWorks it doesn't matter where or how you draw the part the origin is placed in relation to the part selected. You can also insert an origin specifically for the part within SWs.

Forrest

.Insert>reference geometry>coordinate system lets you define a different coordinate system for exporting to CAM. Check the help on this. It doesn't do a decent job of saying that you need to select the new coordinate system when you saveas step (or whatever) to export, otherwise you just get the default which is as drawn. Not sure how this works with an add-in cam like solidcam

In Gibbs, right click on the face you want Z. And chose Align Face to CS.