585,931 active members*
5,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: PE Edition

PE Edition

Hello,

I have been using Autocad and CamBam for my cad and cam software but wanted to try out some 3D. While Autocad has 3D it is a bit limited and I struggle with it at times.

I downloaded the demo version of Alibre 2 days ago and while I was completely lost at first I am starting to get the hang of it.

My question, What do you think of the Personal Edition of this program. It seems to be just what I need for my small operation.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

PE is fine for most home hobby type design work. You can always upgrade to the next higher version should you find he need anyway.

For the price, it is great. Commenting on the missing features:
    -PE does not generate bill of materials. With some editor macros, Excel and easy enough manual fiddling, you can create it from the 3D PDF XML presentation.
    - PE does not read any 3D files. Depending on what you do, this might be a deal killer or not. I only need relatively simple parts, and drawing them myself is easy enough. Sometimes I start from a 2d DXF.
    - There is no cool realistic rendering. So what? 3D DPFs look good enough for me.

In other words, just perfect for my needs.

Thank you all,

I am really getting the hang of this and it is wonderful. I will defiantly be purchasing the PE edition at least.

All of my current drawings are in 2d in a dwg or dxf format so they are easy enough to get into Alibre. I assume the "create drawing" feature is in PE since that was the only way I found to make a 2d drawing and then export to DXF for my cam software.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Re: PE Edition

I almost pulled the trigger on PE but found it will not run on 64 bit OS. Am waiting on 2013 release hoping it will but can't find out for sure. Anyone know? I have 2013 Inventor (free for students, I have 4 kids in college) but found the licence express in 3 years and I don't want to learn it only to start over. From what I've seen Alibre is the only option for me. Anyone know status of PE 2013?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by moto52000 View Post
    I almost pulled the trigger on PE but found it will not run on 64 bit OS. Am waiting on 2013 release hoping it will but can't find out for sure. Anyone know? I have 2013 Inventor (free for students, I have 4 kids in college) but found the licence express in 3 years and I don't want to learn it only to start over. From what I've seen Alibre is the only option for me. Anyone know status of PE 2013?

I was hoping they would release 2013 soon so I could purchase that instead of 2012.

32 bit vs 64 bit.... is that hardware or software driven? Or what makes a system 32 or 64 bit, the OS or the hardware? I am confused about that. I still run Windows XP, work fine for my office machine.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

When I look at the PE product page at Alibre - Alibre Design, the world's most affordable, professional 3D CAD solution and then click on the System Requirements link at the left of that page, it takes me to Alibre - System Requirements.

On that systems requirements page it states:

Supported Operating Systems
    Alibre Design runs on 32 and 64-bit operating systems.

So, while I have not yet tried it on my 64-bit Windows 7 system, it appears to me that it ought to be supported there.

Quote Originally Posted by kregan View Post
    I was hoping they would release 2013 soon so I could purchase that instead of 2012.

32 bit vs 64 bit.... is that hardware or software driven? Or what makes a system 32 or 64 bit, the OS or the hardware? I am confused about that. I still run Windows XP, work fine for my office machine.
    I think that they recently finished the beta so 2013 should be available fairly soon. This might be the last version that will be supported in Windows XP, though.

Re: PE Edition

I found out it was not 64 bit when I was about a week into my 30 day trial I noticed I was running PRO. I contacted Alibre and asked to eval PE since that was what I wanted to purchase. They changed the eval
    to PE and it would not load, error saying could not run in 64 bit OS. Switched back to Pro to continue eval and all is well.

voltsandbolts Guest
    I run the PE version on 64 bit Win7, It took a special installer from Alibre to get it installed. It wasn’t as easy as it should have been.
    But for the most part it handles my needs for “Home” 3D CAD.

I found out it was not 64 bit when I was about a week into my 30 day trial I noticed I was running PRO. I contacted Alibre and asked to eval PE since that was what I wanted to purchase. They changed the eval
    to PE and it would not load, error saying could not run in 64 bit OS. Switched back to Pro to continue eval and all is well.

If you contact the sales folks and tell them what you are trying to use Alibre PE for they can add 64 bit support to your purchase. I'm running Alibre PE 64 bit with additional export options. They will do the features ala carte if needed.
    CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

and if you ask they will break the cost into 4 automatic monthly payments.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption