585,877 active members*
3,259 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Useful for Rotary Table?

Has anyone bought / used one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-5-HIGH-TORQU...QQcmdZViewItem

They keep popping up on ebay, and look like a rather cheap way to build a somewhat limited, powered rotary table. I like the 125 ft lbs of torque .. .

Ken

Probably...I was going to buy a couple to experiment with 4th axis.....need to check the wow & flutter.....ala turntable days....

I didn't buy, because someone would always drive the price up to some insane number.

Coolant resistant? = it will get wet, but it doesn't like it

It is only 125 in-lb torque, which is about 8 ft-lb.

It is not a worm gear drive, so it lacks the mechanical rigidity of a real rotary table. A worm gear reacts against the worm which passes the reaction on to the bearing housing. The back drive effect on a worm drive is small. However in a spur gear drive such as this, the total stiffness is totally dependant on how stiff the motor can hold it, which is not very stiff at all, when it comes to milling forces.

However, if you can simply use it to index, and then figure out a way to externally clamp the platter, it might serve some purpose to a hobbyist.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)