585,885 active members*
6,222 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Boss 5 upgrade

I'm new to the board with a Bridgeport Boss 5, that I want to upgrade to servo.
    I got the machine from someone I know, at a good price, the X and Y axis would jog, but couldn’t get the Z to move. With the controls built in 1979, I don’t want to spend my play time trouble shooting and trying to fix something this old.
    I bought these Baldor BC brush motors on ebay:
    Cat no. ME 4525-CTBAN
    Torque stall 3.39 NM cont
    Max speed 3500 RPM
    MAX voltage 180 VDC ( I’m looking to use 80 volts as I don’t need the speed.)
    Voltage const. KE+ 43 V/K RPM
    Current cont 9.17 A
    Current peak 35.8 A
    They have Sumtak Optcoder
    Type LBL-015-1000DCE
    Source DC 5V 160mA
    No. 0103-5565 1000P/R
    I was able to purchase a Galil DMC 1850 controller with two IMC 2900’s
    Advance Motion Controls recommended a, 30A8 or 25A20I amplifier, I found some 30A8T on Ebay I can’t seem to find out what the “T” is in the part number, and if these will work for me. Galil site states: Galil controllers provide a digital PID filter that eliminates the need for tachometer feedback and assures robust, stable closed-loop control. The PID parameters are programmable and the GalilTools software automatically tunes most servo systems for optimum performance.
    So I think I should be fine with just the encoder. Also there is a 2:1 timing belt reduction from the motors to the ball screws.
    Any input if I’m heading in the correct direction would be appreciated.
    I’ve stripped all wiring and controls from the machine
    Anyone needing parts from a Boss 5 control get back to me.

Can you move the Z axis so the quill moves by hand. Check to make sure it is not seized or something happened to the bearings by someone crashing into the table.

Make sure the Z quill is able to move first before you go any further.
    Most of the Boss 5s I am familiar with were 1:1 ratio. I heard of a 2:1 but I thought they were on other systems.
    Sorry I cannot speak of anything related to the servo swap out. I know there are others who have done it.
    Some have kept the steppers and gone to Mach3 conversion. It is cheaper but you are still limited to the capabilities of the old steppers. The cost of conversion, as I understand, is from $750 - $1000. I could be wrong on that.

I am interested in testing an ERS board. I am in need of a good ERS board to check with a down system.
    Contact me through private email.

Yes the quill is free, I did see it run at the shop, before it was disconnected. All the stepper motors are off and all the axis move free. I believe I got an answer to the "T" in the AMC 30A8T, it's just a code letter from the factory, nothing to worry about..