586,009 active members*
4,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Milltronics Centurion IV DNC?

Milltronics Centurion IV DNC?

Hi all,

With the great help of some members of this forum I can now transfer files back and forth to my controller's memory with my computer! Absolutely loving the ability to not have to re-type programs.

Now I'd like to start using DNC or Drip-feed my programs to the mill using NCLink .

Does anyone know what settings on the Centurion IV I need to set up to receive the code and process it immediately? so far I only use MDI Mode - g55 Receive program from RS232, and g54 Send program to RS232. The G55 code simply writes the code to memory.

Much appreciated!

If memory serves me correctly, you will need an Autolink box and cables. I think I have one, I will look tomorrow. Here is the manual for it:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you so much for the manual! I'm looking at the pin-outs, and wondering if the machine would even accept DNC if I configured the restof those across my cable from my computer?

Has anyone had any luck doing DNC from a computer straight through to the machine? It almost looks like if I had the rest of the pins (4/5/20, etc) connected then the machine would begin moving in the Greco Mode found under MDI parameter #86.

I really appreciate the help!

I don't think you can get the Cent4 control to accept DNC thru the RS232 port, at least that is what I remember from when I ran the C4 machines 20+ years ago, we had to use the Autolink connection as described in the manual.

I trudged thru the snow drifts to my shop to discover that I have 2 of the Autolink boxes with the cables.
    The box looks like this:
    Millitronics Model DNC Autolink PC DNC 02 | eBay

PM me if you are interested in purchasing one of them.

How much memory does your control have? If it has a floppy drive, and your program will fit on a floppy, you can DNC directly from the floppy disk. If you have memory but your programs are too big for one floppy you can load a copy of something like pkzip into the memory, then zip your program file and load it that way. It's been at least ten years since I did that, so my memory is beyond fuzzy on the details. Some DOS skills are in order, and I wasn't the guy who figured out how to make it happen.
    Later,
    Charlie

ZZZZ,

I really appreciate your digging for those - I've passed the info on to my dad to see if he's interested in wiring the goods to his machine. It somewhat stinks that the controller is only 2.5d, not full 3d so i don't know how far he'll want to go unless he sinks $ into another newer machine.

Again, thank you so much! We'll be in contact.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Gary View Post
    How much memory does your control have? If it has a floppy drive, and your program will fit on a floppy, you can DNC directly from the floppy disk. If you have memory but your programs are too big for one floppy you can load a copy of something like pkzip into the memory, then zip your program file and load it that way. It's been at least ten years since I did that, so my memory is beyond fuzzy on the details. Some DOS skills are in order, and I wasn't the guy who figured out how to make it happen.
    Thanks for the info Charlie! We only have the tape drive, so no luck there. I did look into some "Behind the Reader" drives to see if a tape -> RS232 converter would allow it to DNC, but the manufacturers I talked to said it only works if the Cent IV has the Autolink system. Basically, the tape drive just loads programs into the onboard memory for ours.

PKZIP - now THAT brings back memories! Clever idea!

Much appreciated,
    Phil

Tape drive? Holy cow. I'm glad my stepping back in time from CNC to manual skipped that step. I went directly from sending programs out of a desktop pc to a server and using the machine control to download them from said server straight to an engine lathe and manual knee mill. I get to cheat though, seeing as both machines have DROs.
    Later,
    Charlie

ZZZZ ..... I PM'd you this am! And thanks to all for the hype and postings!!

John - BSA101

I am looking for a manual for dnc autollink box if you still have it. If you would please email me a [email protected]. thanks

Zzzz, Might be interested in the autolink box with cables and manual if you still have it. Whats your price? Thanks carl

Zzzz, Might be interested in the autolink box with cables and manual if you still have it. Whats your price? Thanks [email protected]