585,749 active members*
3,723 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Help with CMC amplifier ACS5013-0-000
Page 1 of 2 12

Help with CMC amplifier ACS5013-0-000

Hi

I bought three amplifiers ACS5013-0-000 with servos BMR2205TCCF00HS005 all made by Cleveland Motion Control.
    What I need is one controller to work with mach 3 or EMC in xyz axis in one custom made mill.
    I saw the Pixie from Skyko Technologies but I dont know if this amplifiers have analog control.
    I appreciate any help

Thanks

Clovis Nogueira

Contact CMC as they do have a website. We got operations manual for some servo amps they made ~10 years ago for a Bridgeport.

Call might work better than web inquiry but web e-mail is good place to start.... Then again, somebody here may have something.

Hi Clovis,

Glad you made your way here to the forum. I am sorry I could not answer your question about the CMC amps, but you have come to the right place, these guys are great.

Rick

Hi Nc Cams thanks for the tip but I tried this before and the new manual will cost U$ 100,00 plus the shipping charge to Brazil. That is very expensive for me, I already blew up my budget.

I have one picture of the amp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cmc5.JPG   cmc3.JPG   cmc2.JPG  

The amps appear to have ±analogue input probabally ±10vdc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al, I can't tell from the pictures if they can be set up to run in current (torque) mode or if they were intended to use tach and run in velocity mode. The amps seem to be similar to the common AMC variety, which can definately run in tachless torque mode (which works very well with the Pixie step/dir to analog controller). They certainly do seem to have the correct ref+/- inputs. Hopefully CMC can shed some light on the situation.

The motors and drives sure do look nice though. I bet they have a ton of power for their size.

This is the datasheet from the servos, The salesman said that he had one more set, I paid U$400,00 for complete set, 3 servos, 3 amps and the bulk supply. If anyone have interest in this let me know and I send the salesman email
    Attached Files Attached Files

Not a bad price if everything works. I can't quite get the motor part # to match up to the data sheet...and the data sheet has an annoying "See Note 3" reference about the encoder, but there are only notes 1 and 2

servos BMR2205TCCF00HS005

Those are a re-branded OEM version of AMC servos. If you took of the CMC stickers, you might find an AMC logo on there. You also find them re-branded as Kollmorgen, Electrocraft, Galil, and others. These amps are going fairly cheap on ebay nowadays, probably because they don't have step/direction inputs. Looks like a pretty good deal matched to the motors and the cables.

That said, the +/- Ref inputs are a +/- 10V analog input.

Thanks Unterhaus, finally a light in the end of tunnel :cheers:

Finally I recieved the amps, I opened one and discovered they are really re-branded, but they are made by Copley Controls the model are 513.

Quote Originally Posted by cnogueiraneto
    they are made by Copley Controls the model are 513.
    I bought a load of those on ebay a while back, all brand new, the nice thing is they will run a brushed motor just as well.
    Al.

Albert E.

Hey, very nice amps! lucky find!

So Stevie, a frequent poster here (see his threads about his gantry mill projects) just bought a Pixie P100 (www.skyko.com) to use with his Copley 503 brushless amplifier. He figured out the wiring and created a wiring diagram showing connections between the Pixie P100 and the Copley 503. There are a few quirky things about the Copley that stumped us for a minute or two...the main one being that there are actually three enable lines!!! The amp has two active low inputs called Neg and Pos enable, which actually prevent the amp from driving a motor in a certain direction (like maybe CW for Neg and CCW for Pos) when they are not pulled low. This is in addition to the regular active low enable line which disables the motor when it is not pulled low. To test the amp with the Pixie (or with a voltage source hooked up to the ref+/- inputs) you need to wire the Neg and Pos enable inputs to ground, and wire the other enable line to the Pixie enable output (or tie it to ground also if you are testing with a fixed voltage source).

Also, be aware that this amp can only output 30mA or so on the hall/encoder +5V line (pin 13), so you will need to use an external +5V supply to power the encoder on most motors. For example the P5 Sanyo motor encoders draw about 200mA. Make sure you connect the return (ground) line from the +5V supply that you use to pin 16 of the amp.

I'll re-work the wiring diagram
    It's a bit small; but if you don't want to print it out you might be able to use it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wiring.jpg  

One note of caution: Steve's motors have separate hall connections and his halls work up to +15VDC, so he has wired the hall power to the +15V output on the Copley amp. Some brushless motors actually generate the hall signals from tracks on the quadrature encoder wheel, and typically these combo encoder/halls are powered from +5VDC.

Quote Originally Posted by KTP
    There are a few quirky things about the Copley that stumped us for a minute or two...the main one being that there are actually three enable lines!!! The amp has two active low inputs called Neg and Pos enable, which actually prevent the amp from driving a motor in a certain direction (like maybe CW for Neg and CCW for Pos) when they are not pulled low. .
    Actually I think all the Copley and the AMC's have this feature, it is for overtravel switches, the main enable will put the amp into shut down, but the overtravel inputs, only disable for that particular direction, allowing the ability to jog off the limit in the reverse direction only.
    Al.

Albert E.

could be right Al
    But I'll let Mach3 take care of that

Well, I know not *all* AMC drives have them because the BE15A8 sitting in front of me only has an active low inhibit which disables the motor for either direction.

I believe some AMC drives do use active low pos and neg direction inhibits versus the active low pos and neg enables on the Copleys. The inhibits have internal pullups and can be left unconnected, where-as the Copley enables have to be pulled low to make the drive function. Minor difference, but enough to bite you if you don't realize it

Page 1 of 2 12