584,833 active members*
5,370 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for Mentor, NW Washington

I've been trying to figure out how to get started in machining, CNC in particular. It's something that I would really like to learn and make a career out of for the rest of my work years, about 15 or so left. But this can always be done after retirement too I suppose.

I've done a conversion of a large mill from tape reader to PC based control system, replacing all of the electronics. The control was not sized correctly for the mill so the project was scrapped and the shop bought a new HAAS eventually.

I've built my own control from schematics and a little of my own "design" (a couple of them actually, one servo, one stepper) for my Taig desktop mill.

I've operated an Arboga 5 axis (only used 3) for a week of 12-16 hour days cutting some 13' x 4' x 1 1/2' molds for some sailplane wings out of Renshape. Loading part programs, starting and stopping the programs, and changing cutters. Manually controlled the 12" flycutter using the pendant. The mill is at Mississippi State University.

I've tried to learn some programming using Vector, but haven't gotten too far, not a really intuitive program and not many "tutorials" about. I've taken 10 evening classes for MasterCAM and running a manual lathe and mill in those same classes. We made a ballpeen hammer head and a lathe dog.

I would go to school at the local technical college, but I/we can't afford one of us to not be working and the program is fulltime days for a couple years. I applied for an entry leval CNC operator position at a local shop and had the position, but can't afford the $10/hr to start. I have a little experience, lots of mechanical aptitude, computer programming skills, CAD experience, and I'm willing and want to learn.

Regards,
    Monte

Bellingham, WA

Smile have you tried...

have you tried...

Irongate mfg
    ProCNC
    CAMTech

all are busy shops in your Bellingham.

I worked for Chuck many years ago.
    The guys at ProCNC are pretty smart and agressive and might be able to see that your lack of experience in machining might be an asset, rather than a hindrance.
    I have a friend who does a lot of the electrical for Irongate and he says they are buried in work.

good luck,
    dave

Hey, a local! Gotta love the city of subdued excitement....

cnc club starting in b'ham

HI Monte,

A few of us are starting a club... email me if you are interested. So far, informal, no dues, coffee shop meetings. Looking forward to shop visits, how-to events and bbq's. Let me know,

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by bcbdave View Post
    have you tried...

Irongate mfg
    ProCNC
    CAMTech

all are busy shops in your Bellingham.

I worked for Chuck many years ago.
    The guys at ProCNC are pretty smart and agressive and might be able to see that your lack of experience in machining might be an asset, rather than a hindrance.
    I have a friend who does a lot of the electrical for Irongate and he says they are buried in work.

good luck,
    dave
    Hey dave,
    I actually had a phone interview with ProCNC, they were looking for more experience at the time. I've been told about Irongate, but haven't tried them. Might have to do that. Have to look up CAMTech.

Monte