585,975 active members*
4,487 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC Mogul

Page 2 of 5 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by EXLASer View Post
    Hi Bearhawk LSA,

Gear transmission is better than pulleys on belt .As belt can be loosed and aged after a period of working time ,then it effect the accuracy . While gear transmission with oil to lubricate may service for a longer life . And you may have a look of useing ballscrew which precision is better than others .
    CNC router is more suitable for cutting aluminum and MDF ; laser can not cut Aluminum and it will add a burnt edge on cutting side of plywood . About drivers ,Servo has better precision,quicker speed ,longer service life , better dynamic features and stabilities than steppers . Well Servo has Yaskawa and Panasonic ,more details we may talk by emails if you are intrested ..

Email :[email protected]
    Best regards,
    XYZ Machinery
    SPAMMER.......laser cannot cut aluminum??, its common to cut alum with laser and you sell laser systems, of course if you want to talk ball screws and servos motors, THE PRICE will skyrocket. these are entry level machines with a great price tag, i have had ,mine over a week and seems to be doing well, i bought it for wood/fiberglass cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk LSA View Post
    Hello,

This is my first post on here after doing a search for CNC mogul. Has anyone here bought one of these things. I am looking to cut out thin parts from 2024-T3 aluminum for wing ribs of a homebuilt plane. Material thickness range is .016" to .062". I also need to route out wood forms from .75" MDF. I have been a mechanical engineer in the linear motion industry for over 20 years and was planning to design my own, but am willing to just buy one if the price is right and it can do the job. My first thought is the design is not rigid enough for my MDF requirements but probably just fine for the thin aluminum.

Anyone have any info on the drive system? Is it gears running on a rack or is it pulleys on a Belt? I need the capacity for 4' x 5' working area.

Marc
    it's a rack/pinion system no belts like the shapeoko machines and way less z axis flex then shapeoko because of the double X gantry makerslide
    as far as cutting those aluminum ribs, i think at this point most guys havnt tried yet from what i see, from my experience it can .016-.062 but with several passes because you would get the z axis flexing digging to deep. but if you try i would try with single flute endmils 1/8" or smaller. and maybe pass depths @ .005 for starters.

This is NOT Laser system. Get out of here!.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ_dude View Post
    here is a hint, dont try and contact them through the stupid craigslist loophole email system lol go to the site an use the contact page they responded to me right away and of course gives a phone number for actual support on phone something we seem to have lost in new businesses.
    Yea, I guess asking a question on Craigslist through email is like asking a seller a question on eBay. They both hide sellers and buyers email from each other. I prefer to get my questions answered in writing, not over the phone where they can't deny what they told me later.

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ_dude View Post
    it's a rack/pinion system no belts like the shapeoko machines and way less z axis flex then shapeoko because of the double X gantry makerslide
    as far as cutting those aluminum ribs, i think at this point most guys havnt tried yet from what i see, from my experience it can .016-.062 but with several passes because you would get the z axis flexing digging to deep. but if you try i would try with single flute endmils 1/8" or smaller. and maybe pass depths @ .005 for starters.
    Hello XYZ Dude,

Thank you for the reply and the info. .005" per pass is such a shallow depth of cut which surprises me. If I cut at a much slower feed rate, do you think its possible to cut clean through .025" in one pass? MOst of the ribs are .020 and .025" thick. Only one is .032" and another is .063" and for those I am fine with whatever is needed time wise to cut them.

I work in this industry for a living but in all honesty I don't think I can make it for any less than what CNC Mogul is offering his table which has me considering buying over building my own.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by mondo50m View Post
    I would be a little concerned. They show a 6 foot piece of Makerslide for $79. Inventables has the same piece of Makerslide for $32.00. Seems like they charge more than they should. (or what they feel they can get away with).

Milt
    I bought a kit and it showed up the other day. I built the gantry. The rails are not just makerslide. They have rack gears installed for the entire length of the rail. The router has a rack and pinion drive system.

Overall I'm happy with the kit so far. When I get further along, I may start my own thread.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the limit switches?

has anyone used the cnc mogul kit with the plasma cutter yet? i was building my own table from angle iron and rack and pinion but it seems that i will spend more time actually profecting it to work properly then being able to cut and build. Purchasing a mogul kit doesnt seem like a bad idea. the price is extremely cheap and i was just considering dropping about 400 on my steppers and driver board so i figure i might be better off spending a little extra and getting this kit. please let me know what you all think or if you have used it with the plasma yet. im planning on cutting 4x8 sheets of 1/4 in steel with it. also, i have a spectrum 375 and i was wondering if i should consider upgrading if i get the machine going. let me know.

thanks,

Simon

check out my blog, i have the table frame all built and the gantry is built but it seems like i need a lot more support to get the bearings to keep the gantry straight.

CNC Mogul

I bought one of their Mongul machines today. I did a lot of research and can't beat their price. Keep tune, I WILL be making comments whether it's a POS or worth the investment. I bought the 3'x4' size plus some other stuff for $1,250 including freight.
    Looking forward to receiving it.

From what I've read according to one guy's solid works simulations the amount of deflection might make it hard to use for various tasks.
    The low price of makerslide makes me want to do a laser build or so forth, that or a rather small CNC router for tiny test pieces.

buildlog.net ? View topic - Frustrating lack of information about MakerSlide specifics

MakerSlide Deflection: How long is the MakerSlide usable at length unsupported?

I did some theoretical analysis using Solidworks COSMOSWorks on the MakerSlide up to 2000mm in length @ 5#, 2#, and 1# loads in the center of a beam with unfixed ends (worst case). Here are the results:
    Length (mm), Deflection (mm) @ 5lb
    400, 0.007
    600, 0.024
    800, 0.057
    1000, 0.11
    1200, 0.191
    1400, 0.303
    1600, 0.452
    1800, 0.644
    2000, 0.883

Length (mm), Deflection (mm) @ 2lb
    400, 0.003
    600, 0.01
    800, 0.023
    1000, 0.044
    1200, 0.076
    1400, 0.121
    1600, 0.181
    1800, 0.258
    2000, 0.353

Length (mm), Deflection (mm) @ 1lb
    400, 0.001
    600, 0.005
    800, 0.011
    1000, 0.022
    1200, 0.038
    1400, 0.061
    1600, 0.09
    1800, 0.129
    2000, 0.177

Sorry for the mixed English(IPS) and Metric values. It was just what I happened to enter in the analysis program because I estimated the weight of the gantry to be no more than 5lb, and didn't feel like dealing with the decimal equivalent in Newtons. The unit conversions were taken into account in the calculations by the software.

Basically what this means is that the MakerSlide should not deflect more than 1mm when 5lb is in the center of a rail up to 2000mm in length.

This calculation actually would be useful for a gantry weight of up to 10lb because during by setup of the problem I had forgotten the fact that the axis requires two rails (one at each end of the gantry).

I would like to know how close these numbers are to reality.

**IMPORTANT** These values are calculated for the MakerSlide standing on edge NOT flat.**

I just bought one because I was curious, needed a tax deduction, and I had a weak moment. I put it together in about 8 hours total time. First actual production run coming up this weekend. My opinion.......pretty good I have some concerns about the plastic roller guides as far as durability and the Z axis doesn't see to be very rigid but I haven' cut anything with it yet. I have a lot of fine tuning to do so I will know more this weekend. So far for the price seems to be worth it in my opinion. Also I called Mike several times and he was there with support so that was all good. I'll post more when I fine tune the machine and get it dirty,,,,

I always work on small margins on my CNC startup bussiness so I guess I get conrened for everytone else's purchases. Anyways what size of machine did you get? A smaller once will obviously have less deflection.
    I am curious to see what happens since I like R&P drive. For the plastic wheels, they are delrin (well I think they use Makerslide and not say it's that) which I am presuming is a good choice. Steel would slowly wreak the aluminum from what I read.
    For the Z if everything else works out then you could buy one from John from Microcarve for about $180.
    They are REALLY nice and would work well once you get it mounted.

Yep,

Steel would kill the aluminum. I bought this machine mainly as a back up for the 4 machines I currently have. I bought the 24x48 version. I liked the idea that this machine is semi-portable. I couldn't think of the wood for the "plastic" bearing wheels. Delrin. Thanks for the info as well as the info on a Z axis. I will check it out if needed.

Wow I want to own a second machine
    I do see theirs as potentially the one that could get me to a 18"X18" or whatever smaller size they have.
    But 3d profiling wood to get a really good finish requires a ridged setup.

I just purchased the CNC Mogul system.

I live in San Diego and will keep you guys updated with the total experience. I will also post videos and images of first project.

Mike picked up the phone each time I called, asked about return policy and was very pleased with his response. Simple, Fair and Honest.

To be continued.....

Just purchased my CNC Mogul today will keep everyone updated with the experience.

Mike has been awesome and customer support seems to be a big priority to these guys. I asked about their return policy and was very pleased with his honest and fair response.

Will post photos and videos of first project.

Quote Originally Posted by cncsd View Post
    Just purchased my CNC Mogul today will keep everyone updated with the experience.

Mike has been awesome and customer support seems to be a big priority to these guys. I asked about their return policy and was very pleased with his honest and fair response.

Will post photos and videos of first project.
    and what was his return policy?

Videos and photos?

I also did buy one of these machine. Mike was very helpful in getting me setup.
    I am new to CNC but I can say that the Z axis is a little "wobbly" and to tram a router.

I have a 36 x 36 kit. From what I am reading the delrin wheels seems like a good idea. I like the makerslide, I wish it was thicker or bigger to be a bit more rigid.
    One thing I do wonder, do you guys feel the R&P is better then the screw type setup? I have been looking at some of the machines that "ROUTER PARTS" makes and I see their PRO line uses R&P. However, everywhere else I see the screw types application and while I am not a mechanical engineer, it just seems more accurate and smoother. Lets not forget the CNC mogul is what I call a direct drive R&P.

So what happened? I have a Shark CNC Mako edition now and I'm considering selling it (if possible) and building a full sheet capable machine. This CNC Mogul looks good but I would like to hear more from someone who has one and has used it.

Page 2 of 5 1234