585,581 active members*
4,011 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > What's the best way to machine an opened slot?

What's the best way to machine an opened slot?

I wonder what is the way you guys use to machine an opened slot? Like what's shown in the pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Open ended slot.jpg  

How would you do it on a manual mill? Program it in MasterCam to do it the same way.

I would use a milling machine (knee mill)
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

boundary box

Quote Originally Posted by youyou43 View Post
    I wonder what is the way you guys use to machine an opened slot? Like what's shown in the pic.
    it is called a boundary box. draw a rectangular box over hanging your open slot as far as you need. the rectangular box is used to create a tool path that stays in the box but machines your open slot.
    it can be draw on a different level / layer so the boundary box can be made invisible when you are done with it.

i assume you want to use MasterCam since you are in the MC forum.
    Use the 2d high speed peel mill routine using the slot edge geometry to drive the tool set your exit and entry distance.
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    it is called a boundary box. draw a rectangular box over hanging your open slot as far as you need. the rectangular box is used to create a tool path that stays in the box but machines your open slot.
    it can be draw on a different level / layer so the boundary box can be made invisible when you are done with it.
    K. That's the way I do usually. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    How would you do it on a manual mill? Program it in MasterCam to do it the same way.
    So, usually what I do is to surround the slot with an rectangle box and use pocket. I just wondered if there is a way to do this type of slot by using two parallel lines only. But sounds like there is none.

I could program a slot in MasterCam to use only 1 line. It all depends on how you want cutting to go and how much control you want over finished size.

I could program a slot in MasterCam to use only 1 line. It all depends on how you want cutting to go and how much control you want over finished size.
    If you meant using contour on one line then I will have no control on the opposite side.

Quote Originally Posted by youyou43 View Post
    If you meant using contour on one line then I will have no control on the opposite side.
    Exactly. Sorta. Unless you use 2 diameter offsets. Or maybe run the line one direction for one side of the slot, then run the line the opposite direction for the other side of the slot allowing for Amount to leave XY to compensate.

Maybe this will help:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by cnc-king View Post
    i assume you want to use MasterCam since you are in the MC forum.
    Use the 2d high speed peel mill routine using the slot edge geometry to drive the tool set your exit and entry distance.
    There are many ways to do it, but this is my preferred method as well.

- Vtpros (mastercam instructor)

I use peel mill or I selct both side of the slot and tell to cut by depth.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .