584,861 active members*
4,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Benchtop EDM to mill converison

Question Benchtop EDM to mill converison

So I tried posting this once before and nothing happened...

Anyways, I recently acquired an old benchtop Elox ram EDM from a local surplus auction. It's a Type 6-1407, with an Anilam MiniWizard DRO. I got it for scrap value (maybe less) so whether it works or not I got a decent deal on the workbench that it came with. My google-fu has not found any information on this thing, besides this listing for the same model machine: IFE Machinery Inc Sales.

Attachment 208778

Since I know nothing about EDM and have no information, I have grave doubts about my ability to get this thing running. When I went to look at it, I was impressed with how massive the thing is. I had assumed that EDM machines might be lighter weight than mills, since they don;'t have to deal with the same strong cutting forces. This thing weighs at least 300-400 lbs., though. While pondering how best to get it to my house, I was struck with a crazy thought:

What if instead of trying to use it as an EDM, I just slap a spindle on it and use it as a mill? Obviously trying to put a Bridgeport head on it would be a little ridiculous, but I figured that a Taig mill spindle or one of the water-cooled Chinese spindles from eBay might not be too hard to attach and operate. The base certainly seems rigid/heavy enough for light duty use. The basin would make keeping flood coolant contained pretty simple. The table is a bit small, but not too small to be useful.

I'm not sure I would trust a homemade rig to mill 316 SS, but for aluminum and the like it seems feasible to me. I know nothing about machine tool design or construction, however, so I'm hoping one of ya'll can offer some sage advice. The main potential problem I see is that the table might be too flimsy, since I don't think it was intended to much resistance when moving it around. It looked sturdy during my cursory inspection, but I was mostly concerned with figuring how how I would move the beast.

Buying a spindle of any kind would double my investment in this machine, so I'd like some idea as to whether it would work and/or be useful.

So what do you think? Is this crazy or feasible?

Thanks,
    Adam K

Quote Originally Posted by voxelite View Post
    So I tried posting this once before and nothing happened...
    First post by new posters have to be approved first.
    Weed out the spammers.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Ah. Makes perfect sense.

For the record, no spam here.

I apologize for the double-thread-starting, then.