585,599 active members*
3,540 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > New Zenbot Returns to Zero Z axis high
    alterimage Guest

New Zenbot Returns to Zero Z axis high

Setting up Zenbot 2424 geko g540 controller smoothstepper board and laptop pc with intel core i3 windows 7.

All latest drivers loaded and system runs fine but after running a 4 hour program the Z axis has lost the zero position. X and Y axis are perfect. Running in free airspace so no hitting anything to cause problem, bit touches nothing. No unusual sounds, I watched it for 4 hours several times.

Z returns above zero on 4 separate tests, 0.070, 0.021, 0.030, 0.080 inches. Short run, 30 minutes does not show a problem.

I do not think the problem is mechanical, but suspect control.

Z motor velocity 200 in/min acceleration 30 in/sec/sec

I set the smoothstepper rate to 1 khz, I think those are the units bet don't know how to check. (I verified this setting and my memory was correct)
    Dissabled internet for one of the tests without improvement. Tightened router mount for another with no improvement. Checked jog function for accuracy and it is perfect.

I think the fact that the z axis is always high means something but don't know what.

Completely new to CNC and complete idiot so any help welcome.

rich909 Guest

Smooth-Stepper USB Z-Axis home issue

Hi Alterimage --

Quote Originally Posted by alterimage View Post
    Setting up Zenbot 2424 geko g520 controller smoothstepper board and laptop pc with intel core i3 windows 7.

All latest drivers loaded and system runs fine but after running a 4 hour program the Z axis has lost the zero position. X and Y axis are perfect. Running in free airspace so no hitting anything to cause problem, bit touches nothing. No unusual sounds, I watched it for 4 hours several times.

Z returns above zero on 4 separate tests, 0.070, 0.021, 0.030, 0.080 inches. Short run, 30 minutes does not show a problem.

I do not think the problem is mechanical, but suspect control.

Z motor velocity 200 in/min acceleration 30 in/sec/sec

I set the smoothstepper rate to 1 khz, I think those are the units bet don't know how to check.
    Dissabled internet for one of the tests without improvement. Tightened router mount for another with no improvement. Checked jog function for accuracy and it is perfect.

I think the fact that the z axis is always high means something but don't know what.

Completely new to CNC and complete idiot so any help welcome.
    You will be more likely to get the help you need by posting this question at the 'Smooth Stepper USB Motion Control' forum which is found at: SmoothStepper USB Motion Control ...since this sounds like a control problem rather than a Zenbot related problem.

One very 'low-tech' troubleshooting suggestion is to swap out the laptop/smooth-stepper for a Windows-7 desktop computer with a parallel port if possible. If that tests OK, then swap in the smooth-stepper to confirm the problem is smooth-stepper USB related.

HTH.

--Rich

Crevice Reamer Guest
    Hi there AI. Welcome to the Zone!

The fact that your measurements of Z intolerance are different each time makes me wonder if this could be mechanical. Check your Z pulleys for tightness. One could occasionally be slipping.

CR.

Thanks for the help, I will check the setscrew on the Z axis motor gear (Zenbot suggestion this too) and try generating a path with a different software package to test also. Then I will post to the smoothstepper section for advice on the data rate to use. I would swap in a PC with parallel port but looked for one before I bought the laptop and smoothstepper. Impossible to find a system that meets the MACH3 configuration requirements unless you have an old unit around that is still working.

I don't understand the "tuning the motors" thing, I used the suggested starting point from Zenbot and they seem to work smoothly. Any changes I would make would be shooting in the dark. I hope to get back to working on this soon. Pinched nerve in the neck is holding me back now. I will post the results when I figure it out. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Conclusion

With the help of Shaun from Zenbot we determined the problem was with the Geko 540 controller. The Z channel is missing steps. Shaun is swapping it out for me. Zenbot has been very responsive and knowledgable.