585,702 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    JFeagans Guest

Help Needed!!!

Background:
    I have a TAIG CNC with a 4th axis, use Rhino 5, DeskProto 6, and Mach 3. To this point I have only been using three axis and I am very new to this but quick to pick things up.
    I am following the Venus of Milo 4th axis tutorial in DP and have the following questions:
    1. Where does one zero the WC's when setting up on the A Axis? I have read the tutorial and user manual on this and still don't get it.

2. The geometry info for this project is as follows (mm's):
    X 54.62
    A 360
    Z 20.75
    *Relatively small scale
    I am using a 3mm BN and have followed the tool path instructions for this tutorial, yet when calculating the estimated time I am getting anywhere between 24 - 36 hrs for a roughing operation alone. Really? What am I doing wrong here?

3. If I want to post a screen shot of the model, how does one accomplish that? I understand how to post jpg's, etc but have no clue how to export an image of the model so that I may illustrate what I am doing right or wrong.

Thanks,

Jim

awerby Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JFeagans View Post
    Background:
    I have a TAIG CNC with a 4th axis, use Rhino 5, DeskProto 6, and Mach 3. To this point I have only been using three axis and I am very new to this but quick to pick things up.
    I am following the Venus of Milo 4th axis tutorial in DP and have the following questions:
    1. Where does one zero the WC's when setting up on the A Axis? I have read the tutorial and user manual on this and still don't get it.

[Set the Y and Z axes zeros to the center of the rotary table. You can set the X axis zero point as far to the left as you can without hitting anything. I usually start with square or rectangular stock, so I set the A axis zero point with a level. ]

2. The geometry info for this project is as follows (mm's):
    X 54.62
    A 360
    Z 20.75
    *Relatively small scale
    I am using a 3mm BN and have followed the tool path instructions for this tutorial, yet when calculating the estimated time I am getting anywhere between 24 - 36 hrs for a roughing operation alone. Really? What am I doing wrong here?

[It sounds like a rather small tool to use for roughing. Use a bigger one, and set the stepovers for roughing to 20% of the tool diameter. You don't say what material you're cutting, but you should base your feeds and speeds on recommendations based on that. If it's foam, you can go a lot faster than if it's steel. You can also save time by cutting away the corners of square or rectangular stock, if you can see they don't contain any part of the piece you're trying to make.]

3. If I want to post a screen shot of the model, how does one accomplish that? I understand how to post jpg's, etc but have no clue how to export an image of the model so that I may illustrate what I am doing right or wrong.

Thanks,

Jim
    [Do a screen capture (alt/print screen) and paste it into an open window in your image processing software. Save it as a JPG and attach.]

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Many thanks for the help, I have a handle for now