584,800 active members*
4,642 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC controller box Connectors?

Alright, there are soo many bloody forums on this site I have absolutely no idea where to post this so it's goin' in here.

I'm building a CNC controller box for my little milling machine out of a Mac G5 case. It's going to look pretty awesome when it's done but I'm just wondering what people are using for electrical connectors?

I need:

Power connectors for 3+ motors (2 terminals each)
    Connectors for 3+ encoders (4 terminals each)
    Connectors for 6 limit switches (I'm assuming 2 terminals each)

I think that's probably about it. I know some people are using RS-232 DE-9 (DB-9) connectors, and it would be nice to have a 1 plug/motor solution but I don't think they will handle the amperage for my 1100oz/in motors. There are also T9 connectors but they are prohibitively expensive... like $40 PER PLUG (which is INSANE).

Anyway, are there any cheap, elegant solutions for panel mounted connectors?

Cheers,

I assume for the motors (two connections), your talking about servos. For mine, I used XLR connectors and they are rated I think at 20 amps. For my encoders, I used DB9 connectors and cut up some cheap serial cables to mate them.
    I purposely did NOT want the power and encoder lines in the same cable to minimize the possibility of noise on the encoder lines. Well, at least that has worked for the past 10 years:})
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Well, it looks like almost as soon as I posted this thread a whole bunch of new forums popped up over night! You're Welcome... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I assume for the motors (two connections), your talking about servos. For mine, I used XLR connectors and they are rated I think at 20 amps. For my encoders, I used DB9 connectors and cut up some cheap serial cables to mate them.
    I purposely did NOT want the power and encoder lines in the same cable to minimize the possibility of noise on the encoder lines. Well, at least that has worked for the past 10 years:})
    Yeah, they actually have 3 conductors (the 3rd is just a ground but I'll go ahead and connect it) and yes, they are 1125oz/in servo motors. I'll be using gecko drive 320Xs to run the motors.

It's funny, it actually occured to me after posting this that RJ45 cables would probably be perfect for the encoders and that I should keep them separated to avoid interfearance

Where did you find 20A XLR connectors? I think they would probably be perfect. The motors are rated for 40A@80V but since the Gecko drives are only rated for 20A max I might as well build the box for 20A. I can always upgrade to 40A later if there is a need and drivers are available.

Anyway, Since we finally have a forum for this, I'll add a picture of what I have to work with Think it will look pretty good when it's done.

Check out Amp CPC connectors, they are a cheaper equivalent of the expensive MS connector.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

IF I remember correctly, I got my connectors at MPJA.com, but they can be had at many sources including Radio shack!
    and yes, they have 3 pin variety with one nice thing being they are locking so you can't pull them out by accident.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Re: CNC controller box Connectors?

Speakon connectors are my favorite for hooking up stepper motors. They are four conductor and can handle 20 amps. They are very reasonable priced, easy to work with, and are very durable. A great place to get them is parts Express. They also have an eight conductor version which is great for input signals such as limit switches, e stop, etc.

As for power connectors, take a look at powercon connectors. Again, they are priced right and very durable. They have two different types so you can use one for main power and the other one for your spindle motor.

Good luck with your build.

Dale P.

Speakon connectors yes worth every cent I used these for all 4 steppers plugs and sockets found them on eebs.The thing is I need the A axis removable so just a click and it's done also the other three pop them off and the cabinet slides out bayonet style ones I have.

Powerkon for power