585,712 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Red face G0704 Y-Axis Assemble

I think I have seen it somewhere, but I can't find the answer to my question.

I don't see an easy way to assemble the Y Axis with ball screws. It looks to me that the only way is to:

1. Put the ballscrew only through the hole halfway in.

2. Put the Y axis in the dovetail. ( These 2 steps can be assembled in any order.)

3. Put the ballnut up from the bottom (with the ball holder in it) and screw the ballscrew into the nut.

4. Tidy up the loose ends.

Is there an easier way?

Don

I managed to slide my ball screw and ball nut assembly through the top of my base and into position, then I installed the motor mount and stepper while it was inside the base.

I am using bdtools mounts and ball screw dimensions so this may not be possible with all conversions.

You may have the same problem I did. If the casting has webbing that covers the bottom of the opening, you may have to remove the ballnut to even slide the screw into position, I did.
    As far installing the saddle I just screwed the ballnut towards the back, loosened the Y-Axis spacer bolts until it "dropped" enough to slide the saddle right over it. Then when you re-tighten the spacer bolts it lifts up into position.
    in order to learn... not save money.

Quote Originally Posted by DRock View Post
    I managed to slide my ball screw and ball nut assembly through the top of my base and into position, then I installed the motor mount and stepper while it was inside the base.

I am using bdtools mounts and ball screw dimensions so this may not be possible with all conversions.
    I don't see how I could get it in from the top side. I might be able to get it from the bottom if it had it all apart and tried the bottom.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by ww_kayak View Post
    You may have the same problem I did. If the casting has webbing that covers the bottom of the opening, you may have to remove the ballnut to even slide the screw into position, I did.
    As far installing the saddle I just screwed the ballnut towards the back, loosened the Y-Axis spacer bolts until it "dropped" enough to slide the saddle right over it. Then when you re-tighten the spacer bolts it lifts up into position.
    I think that would work, but I am worried about dropping balls from the ballscrew.

Don

Yup, you may. I did, but in the end I'm kinda glad I did. Now the fear is gone Repacking them only takes a few minutes, once you get the hang of it. Honestly, if you get the "ball holder" the correct size you shouldn't drop any. If it is one of Chai's 1605's I'd go with 13.8mm OD.

Another Assembly Issue
    in order to learn... not save money.

They are Roton's, but the same idea should work.

Thanks Guys

Don