585,717 active members*
4,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > CamSoft Products > please help me learn Camsoft, programmed stops

please help me learn Camsoft, programmed stops

A quick Intro (skip to next paragraph if you want to):
    I have a modified Hardinge Lathe that I hired an approved Camsoft Integrator to put together for me.
    The Camsoft lathe needs expanded capabilities such as an electric turret, various air functions and eventually, C-axis.
    Due to many reasons the lathe is not entirely finished and I am self-learning how to program it and finish the integration.
    It is currently in almost daily operation with limited functionality and making some parts (x and z axis, spindle rpm control and Collet open/close)

I am having trouble transferring parts to the Camsoft lathe due to programming issues that I do not understand and I am sure it is my lack of knowledge. My other Hardinge gangtool lathe is running a Fagor 8025 controller and my programs work fine.
    I am currently hand entering my G-code.

First issue: The controller does not recognize my M1 program stop. I have two in the program and it will stop at the first one but not the second. But then when I go to re-run the program it blows through the first stop and then hangs up in the middle of the program. The only way to get the program to re-run is to close Camsoft and re-open it (and re-home the controls) Here is the code (some motion code removed for space). Stops are on line N80 and N710

N40 G90 G95 (INCHES PER REVOLUTION)
    N50 M12 (CLOSE COLLET)
    N60 M15 (OPEN TAILSTOCK)
    N70 S100 M3 (INSTALL BLANK)
    N80 M1 (HIT CYCLE/STOP TO CONTINUE)
    N90 T18
    N100 S100 M3
    N110 (***ROUGHING***)
    N120 G00 X-2.5 Z-0.20
    N130 M14 (CLOSE TAILSTOCK)
    N140 S2500 M3
    N150 G01 X-2.3 Z-0.2 F.015
    N520 G00 X-2.5
    N530 G00 X-2.5 Z -.25
    N540 (***PROFILE***)
    N550 T18 (Same tool)
    N560 S2500 M3
    N570 G00 X-2.0 Z -.25
    N580 G01 X-1.00 F.005 (FINISH FEED RATE)
    N590 G01 X-0.875 Z -0.25 (BEGIN FINISH PASS)
    N600 G01 G01 Z-.1405
    N610 G03 X-1.4767 Z0.1528 I0.4375 K0.7497
    N620 G02 X-1.2269 Z1.1420 I-1.0824 K0.6392
    N630 G03 X-1.6317 Z2.5663 I4.9156 K1.4251
    N640 G03 X-1.0963 Z3.6604 I2.3680 K0.0000
    N650 M15 (OPEN TAILSTOCK)
    N660 G03 X0.0000 Z3.9930 I0.5481 K-0.2854
    N670 G01 Z4.000
    N680 G00 X-2.5
    N720 G00 X-2.8 Z-0.20
    N690 S100 M3 (Slow down spindle)
    N710 M1 (REMOVE PART AND HIT CYCLE/STOP TO END)
    N730 M5
    N740 M2

Can anyone give me some advice. I am obviously a newbie with this stuff. Thanks.
    Also, the "close tailstock" M-function command on line N130 doesn't actually happen until AFTER the line N150 G01 command. why?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by djshop View Post
    A...

First issue: The controller does not recognize my M1 program stop. I have two in the program and it will stop at the first one but not the second. But then when I go to re-run the program it blows through the first stop and then hangs up in the middle of the program. The only way to get the program to re-run is to close Camsoft and re-open it (and re-home the controls) Here is the code (some motion code removed for space). Stops are on line N80 and N710

Can anyone give me some advice. I am obviously a newbie with this stuff. Thanks.
    Also, the "close tailstock" M-function command on line N130 doesn't actually happen until AFTER the line N150 G01 command. why?

Dave
    Your integrator hasn't finished the job. I think you are implying that you let him go, or he left.

M1 issue - If you look at Mcode.fil there should be a FEEDHOLD command and maybe some other stuff. After issueing FEEDHOLD, the Camsoft control waits until a CYCLESTART comand is issued. On all the machines I've done a green CYCLESTART pushbutton is always installed right beside a red FEEDHOLD button.

M14 issue - the code in MCODE.FIL for M14 is not correct. Most likely some sort of wait or sleep command is needed. Look at M14, I assume its just turning an output on.

Just a quick note, all comments in a Camsoft Gcode need a ' in front of them or it will read the line looking for command it might know

N100 G00 Z0 ' note example

Just my 2 cents here. Camsoft is the most capable control out there. There's an incredible amount of power, but it comes at a cost of a STEEP learning curve when it comes to programming the control. Trying to learn this yourself in the middle of an install is a HUGE task. Consider hiring somebody to finish the job.

Karl

Thank you Karl. I am not at the shop this am to check the M1 file. I did get the program to recognize the stop by using the following format after each M1. I am not sure why it needs the tool and speed and direction commands as I am not stopping the spindle only pausing.
    N100 M1
    N110 T18
    N120 S1000 M3

It may be because there is a logic line in the M1 file that says something like #27=0 (I wish I had it in front of me) and I believe the #27 I/O has something to do with the spindle. I have not traced it down yet. A feed/hold button on the screen sounds like a good idea. Is it an active button or just a passive light that indicates you reached a stop?

Thanks for the note on notes. I will add the ' and see if it changes anything. I thought it used the parenthesis.

The M14/M15 commands currently just activates an I/O state change which operates an Opto Relay and air solenoid. I will look up what sleep commands do. Do they act as a dwell to allow the command to happen before the controller executes the next block?

As you can tell I am new to this and I want to learn. Sometimes the best way is to just gut it out but it is incredibly frustrating and time consuming. I would really like it if there was someone who could be there to help and step me through some of this stuff. I'm sure we could make great progress in a couple of days. My first integrator was not that guy. Ultimately I have several machines to retrofit and build that I am planning on using Camsoft for. I recognize its power and flexibility.

It is also OK to use () for comments in Camsoft G-code. The ' mark is used as the comment character in the Camsoft .FIL files, but () works in G-code files. Though, if Karl says it's a problem (since he's the Camsoft guru), I have to ask, Karl, did you encounter a problem with () once? I hope not - the Camsoft manual says that () is supposed to be used for comments in G-code files.

Dave, what ever is wrong, I'm sure it's very simple. You just need to follow the logic in your Mcode.fil file.

Unfortunately, if your retrofitter didn't finish the job, there are likely to be several more little issues like this that you'll need to work on. Start by studying the Gcode.fil (defines G codes), Mcode.fil (defines M codes), and macro.fil files (defines macros often used for G and M codes and everything else such as your controller user interface). This is where the bulk of the programing is that controls your machine. Startup.fil is also important to understand the initial state of your machine (gets executed when the machine starts). And spend a lot of time reading the manuals as you study the .FIL files, and you'll find that much of Camsoft is easy to understand, just time consuming to learn.

Regards,
    Mike

First off, i learned something today. Don't happen often. () are OK in Gcode. Sorry the ' has been my habit. I've been writing machine control software for 30 years. You can recognize my work because of the HUGE amount of comments. Its a great habit to record your thinking even it it seems to simple at the time. i can come back to code i wrote 10 years ago and know immediately just how and why it works.

Camsoft works WAY better with physical buttons on an operator panel. The keyboard stuff kind of works but doesn't begin to exploit the power of Camsoft. Anyway, CYCLESTART and FEEDHOLD are physical pushbuttons on the operatorpanel. I just posted a video of my knee mill to this forum, the operator panel is visable. the Hardinge CHNC lathe is visible in the background. Camsoft used to have a video of the CHNC running on their website where you can see my operator panel in more detail.

In the \AS3000\HELP directory you will find a file named logic commands.RTF Put a link to this on your desktop. Then STUDY it

A little more history, I bought a failed Camsoft install on a Mazak M4 lathe in 2002. Damned near pulled all my hair out trying to get it to run. Then I dropped this project, intalled camsoft on a little stepper knee mill from scratch as a study project. After doing this, I came back to the Mazak and had it running like a champ in a few days.

Karl, glad I could teach you something. You just taught me something (and I should have known better). The .RTF files in C:\AS3000\Help are the manuals. Duh!!

I say this because I was just talking to Camsoft the other day about wanting the latest printed manuals in PDF or other electronic form without having to use the Q&A Help in CNCSetup - so I could search them more easily outside of their software like on my laptop where I haven't installed Camsoft. But, they said they don't provide electronic copies of the manuals except through CNCSetup's Q&A Help button. Come to find out, what I was looking for was in the Help folder all along. I think I knew this before, but didn't realize these are almost exact duplicates of the printed manuals (just broken up into many separate files).

Thanks!
    Mike