585,729 active members*
5,003 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

50W Laser for paper cutting (how to avoid burning marks)

Hi there,

I am a 18 year old guy and I am looking into buying a laser cutter.

I will use it for my business (until today I have done the whole cutting process manually with a cutting knife and ruler ).

I have been looking into the YORK Laser 50W CO2 laser cutter (Smart man 350E Desktop Laser Engraver, Desktop engraving & cutting machine). I have seen it on a blog of a french guy, who has bought the same machine from the same company. Here is his page: nio's stuff » ?Ichiro? Please check the cutting tests, he has an image of paper ("The same vector pattern cut on paper. Notice that the paper is not burnt at all…")

-----------------------------------------------------

For what I need it:

- Cutting paper (0.25mm thickness / A4 Size) in basically 4 different "templates" (they are after initial positioning and testing always remain the same, and I will cut every day say 40-50 cuts of each of those templates). It will cut four "shapes" which resemble basic rectangles with some extra cuts on the sides (nothing fancy really, no complicated filigrane cut needs to be done) on each of the a4 sheets.

What I am looking for / What is important for me:

- No burning marks (or at least very, very minimum amount of it). As I cut only 4 different "templates" I could build a structure to reduce reflections. Also I could put 2 sheets of paper in the front and in the back of the paper which needs to be cut to avoid any fume/smoke marks or burning marks. I do not know yet which is best, as I have practically zero experience in this field...

- "Fast" production - This is relative. As long as I get clean, burning marks free cuts and it does not take me 1 hour to cut 1 sheet I am very happy. Also, if we could cut a stack of 5 or even 10 sheets of paper at once, this would be fantastic (however this increases fume and/or burning marks to a very high amount).

I would be very happy if you could tell me if the above laser is suitable for my needs, if I need any special lenses with it (York laser confirmed it would be suitable for my needs as it comes delivered without any special focus lenses)...

Basically just comment on my procedure, and if everything is suitable for my described needs.

I am truly grateful for any comments, and would love to present the outcomes of the cutting should it come to a purchase of this specific machine.

Thanks in advance,

-dude17

For most laser macine ,if cut in small thickness ,one layer or two one time ,it will not burn usally ,with fast spped .
    And we also have paper cutting videos ,if interest we can send to your email
    Best Regards
    Lucy Lee
    G.WEIKE LASER

Quote Originally Posted by dude17 View Post
    Hi there,

I am a 18 year old guy and I am looking into buying a laser cutter.

I will use it for my business (until today I have done the whole cutting process manually with a cutting knife and ruler ).

I have been looking into the YORK Laser 50W CO2 laser cutter (Smart man 350E Desktop Laser Engraver, Desktop engraving & cutting machine). I have seen it on a blog of a french guy, who has bought the same machine from the same company. Here is his page: nio's stuff » ?Ichiro? Please check the cutting tests, he has an image of paper ("The same vector pattern cut on paper. Notice that the paper is not burnt at all…")

For what I need it:

- Cutting paper (0.25mm thickness / A4 Size) in basically 4 different "templates" (they are after initial positioning and testing always remain the same, and I will cut every day say 40-50 cuts of each of those templates). It will cut four "shapes" which resemble basic rectangles with some extra cuts on the sides (nothing fancy really, no complicated filigrane cut needs to be done) on each of the a4 sheets.

What I am looking for / What is important for me:

- No burning marks (or at least very, very minimum amount of it). As I cut only 4 different "templates" I could build a structure to reduce reflections. Also I could put 2 sheets of paper in the front and in the back of the paper which needs to be cut to avoid any fume/smoke marks or burning marks. I do not know yet which is best, as I have practically zero experience in this field...

- "Fast" production - This is relative. As long as I get clean, burning marks free cuts and it does not take me 1 hour to cut 1 sheet I am very happy. Also, if we could cut a stack of 5 or even 10 sheets of paper at once, this would be fantastic (however this increases fume and/or burning marks to a very high amount).

I would be very happy if you could tell me if the above laser is suitable for my needs, if I need any special lenses with it (York laser confirmed it would be suitable for my needs as it comes delivered without any special focus lenses)...

Basically just comment on my procedure, and if everything is suitable for my described needs.

I am truly grateful for any comments, and would love to present the outcomes of the cutting should it come to a purchase of this specific machine.

Thanks in advance,

-dude17

For the laser cutter you have to take for the thickness, axes, brand and also prices.
    I think your problem solved at the needham-laser...
    needham-laser.com

Hi,
    We Smart 3040 may be suitable . It is good at engraving with ratios were added ,and better cutting precision with thin materials . But can not guarentee you good precision cut a stack of 5 or even 10 sheets of paper at once. This may be harder --fired I am worried in the up places . I will test this as a hobby .Here is a photo one of smart 3040 did . Let's talk about it later .
    XYZ Machinery
    It can not be attached I wander why ...and try again later .

for simple cutting and no burning whatseover , I would have a look at one of these
    Die Cutting Machines Review 2013 | Best Personal Die Cutters | Compare Electronic Cutter and Digital Cutting Tools - TopTenREVIEWS
    Best of all the models is under $800...
    Rodney , Cape Town , South Africa
    www.tokerbros.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gold View Post
    for simple cutting and no burning whatseover , I would have a look at one of these
    Die Cutting Machines Review 2013 | Best Personal Die Cutters | Compare Electronic Cutter and Digital Cutting Tools - TopTenREVIEWS
    Best of all the models is under $800...
    I've already bought such a cutter plotter, it can't cut paper very nicely. There are always positioning issues, also an adhesive cutting mat is required to cut paper. Sometimes, the paper even rips when the blade is doing corners. The cutting matt loses its stickyness after about 10 papers cut, and it's a big hassle to put the paper on the cutting mat, align cutting mat, etc.etc

For small uses it's a good option, but if I need to cut 200 A4 sheets per day it's gonna be very very time consuming.

I have spoken to YORK laser, they're being very responsive, also they assured me that the cutting of paper can be done with minimal to no burning marks. As I need to cut always the same medium, I can easily find the right settings for speed and power to ensure the best result for cutting.

Anyone has other comments on this topic? From what I heard YORK lasers machine is good for my use. They also have a competitive price.

I used to have a 350D from Yorklaser. It was OK and is effectively the same machine as the ones that sell for around £2000 on Ebay. They are very responsive until you have sent payment. Once the sale is done you might have to wait a while for a reply. The cutting table had come loose in mine during transport. The threads in the holes for the brackets were cut oversize so the bolts had all rattled out. For nearly the same money you can get a bigger, better machine from G. Weike.

I will test this as a hobby .Here is a photo one of smart 3040 did . guideadda Let's talk about it later .

Hello,
    We are manufacture of fiber optic or CO2 laser equipment in China,if you need any marker,cutter,clener,please do not hesitate to contact me.
    James
    whatspp:18600395818
    Email:[email protected]