584,812 active members*
5,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

C8-A/C Relay Board Question

I have some questions about the C8-A/C Relay Board: http://http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C...anual_Rev2.pdf

1) Does there need to be a switch (power on/off) between the relay and router or is the on/off power controlled by the software? I will be using Mach3.
    2) On pg.2 of the PDF the diagram shows one wire to the motor - Is this the positive power "Lead" side and the other side being the "Neutral" side?
    3) Or to simplify things, can I just use a basic 110 volt on/off switch to control the power to the router independent of the drivers/computer/software by not needing the relay or by having the relay if a limit switch is tripped will this also shut down the router?
    If I am getting this messed up can someone please give the correct way to hook this up.

Thank you for all your help.
    Craig

The PDF shows a 12amp triac controlling the motor, the command can be +3 to +5 at 10ma from a P.P. providing the Port can supply it.
    Personally I would run the supply to the motor through a E-stop relay after the triac, the print does show two wires to the motor, the neutral goes direct, there should of course, also be a ground conductor.
    Also, these type of BOB's indicate isolation between P.C. and Motor, but it is not generally so, the PC and its power supply is at ground via the mounting screws and the motor neutral is at ground potential, so they are actually connected with no galvanic isolation.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.