585,969 active members*
4,610 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Question Abouth LMS' "Solid Column Conversion Kit"

Question Abouth LMS' "Solid Column Conversion Kit"

Hello,

I just received from LMS the solid column conversion kit, #4483, and the recommended (Chris' tips) Y axis feed screw, #3944.

When I went to install them into my Micromark #84630 mini mill, I was surprised to find out that the new Y axis feed screw I just got from LMS is the same length as my original Y axis feed screw. Apparently it's the exact same part.

Being that the ways on the new base are about 2" longer than on the original, I thought I was buying a new feed screw that would allow more Y axis travel, accordingly. (Actually I do have a little more Y travel now simply because the "obstruction" is gone, but now the travel is limited by the length of the feed screw).

I'm wondering, did anyone else buy the kit - and a new Y axis feed screw - and have the same problem?

I'm wondering if I just received the wrong part, or if LMS is simply mistaken about the need for this part, or what exactly is going on here.

Regards,
    Nelson

I emailed LMS, and they replied that they're going to send me another one. Apparently their stock had some standard length screws mixed in with the longer ones.