585,708 active members*
3,808 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Mate & 2 Cylinders Rotating Together?

Mate & 2 Cylinders Rotating Together?

Hello,
    I am having trouble figure out how to mate 2 cylinders together so that they both rotate together rather than independently in SW.
    I have a concentric mate to keep them on the same axis and also a parallel mate on the faces to keep the correct distance... but each will still rotate independently.
    I cannot 'lock' them together or else they both become completely fixed... they are just basic cylinders with a 1mm wall so there's really nothing else for me to work with.

The objects I am trying to mate together are the inside of a bearing wall and an extruded cylinder with small tolerance so it will fit snugly rather than having to use set screws or fasteners.
    I know for a fact this works fine mechanically... but getting this accomplished with SW mates has been frustrating.
    How do I make them rotate together?
    Thanks

Use either the top, front or right planes of each part as mate selections. That will tie them together.
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

When i click on View --> planes or View --> live section planes... nothing changes and I do not see any planes or new objects to select.
    I do get vertical lines on most my parts if I click on View --> Temporary Axes... but not with view ---> axes.
    I tried creating a mate using the temporary axes... but it did not work
    What should I do?

Awesome, I believe this is now solved!
    After learning a bit about reference geometry, I was able to create a new plane for cylinderA and mate it to cylinderB.
    They both are now rotating together
    Thanks for the hint Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by viroy View Post
    When i click on View --> planes or View --> live section planes... nothing changes and I do not see any planes or new objects to select.
    I do get vertical lines on most my parts if I click on View --> Temporary Axes... but not with view ---> axes.
    I tried creating a mate using the temporary axes... but it did not work
    What should I do?
    Check your individual parts. Are the planes hidden? For some reason SW Defalt templates are setup with the top , front and side planes hidden. Also I think the origin might be hidden.You will have to unhide them at the part level in order to see them in the assembly. I changed all of my templates so these items are visible in new documents. As for axis viewing , you have to create them in order to see them, you have to go thru the axis dialog.

Mike

You're welcome viroy.
    The planes are always visible in the feature tree I think? In most cases I don't like having visible planes in my parts or assemblies in less I need them on for a reason but I then turn them off when done to de-clutter the screen.
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

I sure love CNCZone.
    I needed to do the same thing but had completely forgotten how as it's a pretty rare occurrence.
    This place is an excellent repository of hard to find knowledge.

BTW anyone find it strange or suspicious that a person who just joined the zone and has no posts/threads sends a friend request?
    I may just be paranoid, but it seems fishy to me that they didnt even bother sending a PM beforehand.
    I rejected the request.