585,994 active members*
4,600 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Help with motor specs?

Hello, newbe here, Glad I found this forum. I have learned a lot here already, huge amount of info here...Impressive... Great Forum.

Could anybody help me find spec sheets, or any information on a few motors I salvaged from a bulk printer, and a detacher. I have four shinano Kenshi steppers. Two are STH-53D400, and two are STH-55D326. I think they are nema 23 frame (not sure though).
    They all are 8 wire hook up, can anybody help?

Hmm.. nobody knows.. Doesn't surprise me, I got a return e-mail from Shinano Kenshi (That Did surprise me). They told me that these motors were proprietary and that they coud not disclose that kind of information (Who knows what evil, dastardly deed I might pull off with that information.. haha), and that I would have to contact that makers of the printer.
    If I remember right, Digital (DEC) sold out and does not exist anymore??
    more googles I guess.

So, if I have the resistance of the coils I should be able to figure out enough to run these motors right? The power supply in the printer had 47 V. @ like 10 amps (here I go relying on memory again). There was a 3 phase servo motor that was rated @ 47 V. (got that too). There is also 12 V. and 5 V., very nice p. supply too bad the 47V is bad.

If I know what drivers were used (L6203) I'm thinking I should be able to make these steppers into something. And what about that 3 ph servo? What to do with it? 3 ph DC??

Am I way out of whak here?

ScreaminnSterio,

Check out this handy document for KitsRus.com's K179 Unipolar Stepper Motor Driver board. Pay attention to the diagram for the 8-wire unipolar stepper coils. Check for continuity using a multimeter (or a battery and a small lamp/bulb for a flashlight) to identify each coil. Once each coil is identified follow the instructions for connecting the coils to YOUR driver board.

HayTay

This is also a link with information that you could use to identify the wires:

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ih/doc/stepper/others/

Regards,

Hugo