584,849 active members*
4,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

help with turntable

I would like to build an electric variable speed table top welding turntable. I would buy one but the prices are absurd. Have any of You built one or have any suggestions what motor and gear box/ variable drivers to use? Also what would be the best way to get the ground to the turntable? Thanks in advance for any help You provide. Carl.

Turntable grounding

Quote Originally Posted by tallwelder
    best way to get the ground to the turntable? Thanks in advance for any help You provide. Carl.
    A factory built welding turntable I worked with had a spring loaded carbon rod for the grounding mechanism.
    The carbon contacted the under side of the turntable plate.
    WT

Thank You weld tutor for Your reply, I have spent more time on a factory built turntable then I care to remember but never paid attention to how the ground worked. I just attached my ground to the provided post and tried to stay awake lol. I will use that method for the ground...now does anyone have suggestions as to the motor/gearbox or the variable speed mechanisms?? I found a dc gearmotor from Jameco that has a max speed of 2 rpm. I thought of using pwm to slow it down from there.? Carl.

We built one for welding at a place I worked years ago. We used a high torque, low RPM hydraulic motor with a flow control for speed adjsutment. It woked well for nine years.

I built one for large tubes. Used a Dayton DC motor with a variable controller, grounding I did thru the driven shaft with a spring loaded copper plate on the end. TIG 14" dia. flanges to tubing all in one rev.