585,749 active members*
3,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > Newbie (South African) needs help with 4axis home build design!! (online)

Lightbulb Newbie (South African) needs help with 4axis home build design!! (online)

Hi there Machinists, this is my first post, yey!

My name is Jane, and I am a newbie enthusiast trying to design my first DIY build.

Objective:

I want to build a versatile machine that can do micro machining and hopefully some larger parts. I would mostly be machining plastics, but if I am able to machine some soft aluminum it would be a perfect.

The machine will mainly be used for making toys.

Budget:

My budget sits between 3000 and 3500 dollar. The budget includes all tools required for assembly, ongoing maintenance and shipping. I would put more money into anything that would minimize tinkering for my first build.

So far here is my plan:

I am going for 4 axis Gecko build:

1x G540
    4x G723-280-4

Supported by ground ball screws, which I hope to get for a good price second hand:

+- 70cm x axis
    +- 70cm y axis
    +-1 17cm z axis

I still have lots of questions before I am confident with my design:

1) In practical (laymans) terms, what would I be losing by going with the G540 with the G723-280-4, instead of say 4x G213V/G203V with G734-1280-4. I understand the benefits of the G540, being value for money and no need for a break out board or extra cables. But do the pro's truly outweigh the cons with my objectives in mind?

If somebody could give me a practical example of the difference I would experience all round, the difference in implementation and results.

2) The 4th axis implementation. Some of the prices I've seen for kits are shocking. I'm not exactly sure what I need and where to start looking. Any guidance on the rotary table and implementation would be very much appreciated. Also, they seem to come in standard sizes. Should I think about building my own?

3) Spindle: I'm thinking of spending about 500-800 (could stretch for the right thing) on the spindle/router. I am struggling to find prices for these things, it seems like an industrial underworld.

Some advice for those who have worked through his before would be great! Thank you.

Hi Jane
    where are you based. OK from your profile your in Jhb!
    There is a "South African Clubhouse" on this forum. and there seem to be quite a few guys up your way. Although there does not seem to be much activity, but the guys up your way seem to have a club going.
    Sourcing goods in this country is like looking for chickens teeth, that goes with trying to get help from locals too!
    My router build is almost complete (3 axis rack and pinion, 1200 x 1200mm work area).
    I started by I importing a few items from which I made drawings (converted from Imperial to metric) and had parts cut and machined locally.
    I would be happy to pass on what knowledge and experiences of sourcing goods I have gained.
    Gary

Hi Jane,
    For a local supply consider cncdirect excellent products and you can get most of the parts that you will need from them.

The Gecko G540 is excellent and you won't go wrong with one of these.

Make sure you get bi-polar steppers as they are much stronger that the uni-polar steppers.

If you want a cheaper option you can go with an MDF frame cnc which is fine for allot of applications including toy building.
    If MDF is the way you go have a look at JoesCNC, goodbuild for the average newbie.
    Spindles: You could consider Kress Router, good quality and the brushes can be purchase separate at a lower price if you stress it to the point where you destroy the brushes.

Let me know if you need more info.

Regards,
    Oz

Hi Jane
    Are you implying a 4th axis is in: X,Y,Z & (A/C)
    As Oz suggests, the G540 and Nema 23 would be sufficient to run a machine of the size you wish to build.
    As far as spindles go Kress 1050 FME/FME-1 is a good way to go. Even cheaper is to use a Dremel. Otherwise Its spindle and VFD and spindles are costly unless using a Chinese one.
    Another cheep option is www.bluumax.com
    Regards
    Gary