585,967 active members*
4,142 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > g-rex 100 101 differences?

g-rex 100 101 differences?

what is the difference between these two products?

thanks all

The G100 is for end users. The G101 doesn't have screw terminals or the enclosure.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Both are the same in function and performance.

The G100 is a finished, end user controller. It has a nice anodized enclosure, 96 screw terminal connectors, 68 LEDs indicating the state of every digital input and output, on-board power supply and power jack connector, lithium battery and battery holder, an included Rabbit Semiconductor ethernet RCM3720 8-bit microcomputer flashed with either GeckoMotion or a download manager that's ready to accept Mach4.

The G101 costs 1/2 as much but has zero bells and whistles. It is an OEM version G-Rex supplied with headers in place of screw terminal connectors, no LEDs, no power supply, no MCU and consequently no firmware. It is a bare board intended to plug into a printed circuit board designed by the OEM.

Mariss

I talked with gecko today and there is actually a large difference. the rabbit semiconductor microcomputer is the biggest diff between the two. the nice little things like the case/psu/terminals/leds are a difference too but for the avg joe the rabbit is the big one. anyway i got a lot of good info from them this morning so if anyone has any questions on this shoot em out here and i'll try and help out with what i learned.

mariss freimanis is from gecko

i know i talked with her this morning as well, but some of the questions she was unable to answer, but others there were. i'm not saying i know more but i did get some good info that might help others

Eh, hmmm.. I'm a guy.

Mariss

doh sorry, i thought i spoke with a woman named mariss first. again sorry

Jan is a lot smarter and far better looking than I am. That's one way of telling us apart.

Mariss

yes it was jan. i was mistaken because your answer i swear is word for word what she told me. which isn't bad, just for the average user i think misses a bit, or maybe it is just me. anyway i'm glad the differences are not what i originally thought and instead much greater. thanks again for all the help.

There is no price listed for the G100 on the Geckodrive website. From a previous post, I gather that it's 2x the price of the G101, or about $400. Or perhaps the price is not listed because the units are not yet shipping?

Mariss, can you clear this up?

Give us a little time, the product info is being updated. The G100 is $349 without a Rabbit RCM3720, $399 with RCM3720 and flashed.

Mariss

Quote Originally Posted by DanOSB
    mariss freimanis is from gecko
    Actually "HE" is "Gecko"..!

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis
    Give us a little time, the product info is being updated. The G100 is $349 without a Rabbit RCM3720, $399 with RCM3720 and flashed.

Mariss
    Thanks Mariss! We're all excited about the G-Rex and following the news closely. It's going to be awesome in combination with Mach4. I see on the Yahoo forum that Art has nothing but good things to say about the G-Rex. I'm inclined to believe him! =)

I'll tell you what I'm looking forward to is using encoders with my shiny new steppers.