585,753 active members*
3,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Update Question/Options?

Hi Everyone,

First I'd like to say thank you to everyone that posts on here. It has been an unbelievable source of knowledge for any questions I have, I however now have a more specific question and was looking for some opinions.

The Question...

I currently have a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 g3 (60A machine) on a 5x10 table and have loved it since I got it, good cut quality and absolutely trouble free. I am now currently looking to upgrade a bit as it is getting a little older and some improvements have been made lately.

What I am trying to decide is, do I get a new torch, a new Powermax 45, or a Powermax 65? Each option has it's own advantages.

The Powermax 45 would probably be the cheapest (I'd sell or trade my 1000 in) but it is a slight drop in cutting power but I've heard that the new powermax 45 can almost keep up with the previous 60 amp machines. Also I would be able to connect to the new control on the Powermax machine to set pressure and amps etc.

If I just upgrade the torch, the new torch would give me most of the new tech, consumables etc, while maintaining a bit more cutting power.

Finally the Powermax 65 gives me pretty much everything, at a price though but I would be done upgrading for a while. I would also gain the connection capabilities similar to the Powermax 45.

So specific questions would be:

-Can the Powermax 45 really compete with a Powermax 1000 for cutting power? (I don't often cut much over 1/2")
    -Will a older generation Powermax have a comparable cut quality if converted to the new DuraMax Torch?
    -How much more continent is it to use the new connections to set amps and air pressure?
    -Is anyone looking for a Powermax 1000 g3 or the machine torch

Thanks in advance
    Jack

You have a lot of choices, hopefully I won't make it harder for your to make a decision with my response!

About 6 years ago I was using a Powermax1000 on my home shop cnc machine......I upgraded at that time to the Powermax45. The result was that I got much squarer, cleaner cut edges up through 1/2", along with about double the consumable life that I had with the Powermax1000. Cut speeds between the two systems are very similar up through about 3/8"....then on 1/2" and 5/8" the 45 drops off a bit....but still provides better edge quality. The 45 is rated to pierce up to 1/2" if you have a full featured height control on your cnc machine (can pierce at a higher height than cutting, and has the ability to control pierce delay time)....in fact I did a few jobs with the 45 where I had to pierce 5/8" and it performed quite well.

Today....the Duramax upgrade torch is available for the Powermax1000. With this upgrade you will have similar cut quality and consumable life as compared to the 45, yet the additional power of the 1000. So upgrading the torch on your 1000 is a good option.....however you still have an older power supply!

The Powermax65 comes with the Duramax torch......and offers even better consumable life than the combinations above. Further advantages: digital readout with full diagnostics, automatic air flow, higher duty cycle, higher load voltage, higher amperage, etc. The 65 will cut thin material better than the 45 with its Fine Cut consumables....and has the extra power on thicker materials.....cut quality with the 45 amp consumables is almost identical to the 45.

I upgraded to the Powermax85 a couple of years ago....and use the 45 for hand cutting needs. It has never skipped a beat!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by jewisonj View Post
    Hi Everyone,

First I'd like to say thank you to everyone that posts on here. It has been an unbelievable source of knowledge for any questions I have, I however now have a more specific question and was looking for some opinions.

The Question...

I currently have a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 g3 (60A machine) on a 5x10 table and have loved it since I got it, good cut quality and absolutely trouble free. I am now currently looking to upgrade a bit as it is getting a little older and some improvements have been made lately.

What I am trying to decide is, do I get a new torch, a new Powermax 45, or a Powermax 65? Each option has it's own advantages.

The Powermax 45 would probably be the cheapest (I'd sell or trade my 1000 in) but it is a slight drop in cutting power but I've heard that the new powermax 45 can almost keep up with the previous 60 amp machines. Also I would be able to connect to the new control on the Powermax machine to set pressure and amps etc.

If I just upgrade the torch, the new torch would give me most of the new tech, consumables etc, while maintaining a bit more cutting power.

Finally the Powermax 65 gives me pretty much everything, at a price though but I would be done upgrading for a while. I would also gain the connection capabilities similar to the Powermax 45.

So specific questions would be:

-Can the Powermax 45 really compete with a Powermax 1000 for cutting power? (I don't often cut much over 1/2")
    -Will a older generation Powermax have a comparable cut quality if converted to the new DuraMax Torch?
    -How much more continent is it to use the new connections to set amps and air pressure?
    -Is anyone looking for a Powermax 1000 g3 or the machine torch

Thanks in advance
    Jack