501,709 active members
8,015 visitors online
Register for free
Login
    Registered

Hypertherm 1250 machine interface cable connections cpc to D-sub

Hello,

Wondered if anyone could help or know which pins connect to which pins in an interface cable hypertherm part number 123896 ???

I bought a THC card from a uk supplier that can connect to a wide range of hypertherm plasma machines but needs that lead as part no. above, only problem i have is my existing interface lead that i bought a long time before buying the THC has a 14 way cpc plug one end and spade terminals the other end. This is a problem as the THC card needs to connect using a 15 pin D-sub. and not spade terminals.
    rather than buy another lead i thought i could just solder on a D-sub connector to get it going. has anyone done this before?

I'm guessing the pins would be like for like i.e 3&4 (torch on) in the cpc plug to 3&4 in the D-sub, 5&6 (div volts) in the cpc plug to 5&6 in the D-sub etc.etc.
    but didn't want to just take a guess and find out the hard way!!
    Would be very grateful for any help.

Many Thanks

The connections on the Hypertherm cable are only involving 6 wires. Pins 3 and 4 are the plasma start input (not polarity dependant), pins 5 and 6 are an analog DC voltage output at 1/50th of arc voltage. (note that some earlier 1250's did not have this output.....those units will have no sockets inserted in holes 5 and 6 of the CPC connector), and pins 12 and 14 which are the arc transfered output from the plasma (contacts closed when cutting metal).

I cannot answer your question about connections on the THC end.....as I do not know what THC you have. I suggest you consualt with the THC supplier for proper connections....or you could forward me the technical specs and schematics and I may be able to offer advice.

Jim Colt Hypertherm jim.colt@hypertherm.com

Quote Originally Posted by jwbleach View Post
    Hello,

Wondered if anyone could help or know which pins connect to which pins in an interface cable hypertherm part number 123896 ???

I bought a THC card from a uk supplier that can connect to a wide range of hypertherm plasma machines but needs that lead as part no. above, only problem i have is my existing interface lead that i bought a long time before buying the THC has a 14 way cpc plug one end and spade terminals the other end. This is a problem as the THC card needs to connect using a 15 pin D-sub. and not spade terminals.
    rather than buy another lead i thought i could just solder on a D-sub connector to get it going. has anyone done this before?

I'm guessing the pins would be like for like i.e 3&4 (torch on) in the cpc plug to 3&4 in the D-sub, 5&6 (div volts) in the cpc plug to 5&6 in the D-sub etc.etc.
    but didn't want to just take a guess and find out the hard way!!
    Would be very grateful for any help.

Many Thanks

Registered
    Hi

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the reply Jim, Have been given the pin configuration from the THC company now, they were:
    Torch start: 2 --> 4 (black) pair 1
    Torch start: 10 --> 3 (Green) pair 1

xfr-: 12 --> 12 (Red) pair 2
    GND: 5 --> 14 (Black) pair 2

arc V-: 15 --> 5 (black) pair 3
    arc V+: 8 --> 6 (Red) pair 3
    shiled: shell --> 13 (drain wire)

Thanks