585,977 active members*
4,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Need suggestion on a machine for my application

Need suggestion on a machine for my application

Hey everyone,

This is my first time to the forum, so be gentle. I am inexperienced in cnc machining, but I am interested in getting into it as a hobby for my shop. I am looking for a small cnc lathe / automatic bar machine / turning center that will turn 5/8" * 18" round rod in steel, aluminum, and brass (like a small ornate wooden balluster) in one step. Electrical requirements won't be an issue. I would like a relatively small foot print. I have been looking at omniturn, haas, snk prodigy,GT mini. I'm looking for the exact phrase of the machine. I don't know if what I am looking for is a cnc engine lathe, automatic bar machine, or turning center. In addition, I have seen some older machines that look like they would fit my application but the ontrols seem outdated, can they be updated?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor's Hammer View Post
    Hey everyone,

This is my first time to the forum, so be gentle.
    We are never anything else!

Your post opens up a few 'Depends on' questions?
    For one, what power do you have available and if 3phase?
    It sounds like you want to get into an automated, or at least semi-automated process?
    Older machines can be had for cheap, but again it depends on if you are confident and capable of upgrading, and allow the time required?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hey Al,

I have up to 100 amps /220v available, not 3 phase though, but couldn't I get a phase converter if the right machine turned up at the right price? I used to be a custom home builder and a carpenter, but this is a new adventure for me. At least semi automated process if not fully automated. Any older machines that you can think of that would fit my application and controls updated?

Engine lathe no, would be hard to automate at best.
    Turning center no problem
    Swiss screw machine no problem, but $$
    But for a simple part like that, consider a gang tool lathe. You should be able to pick up a mid90s-early 2000 one fairly cheap. Hardinge, Hyundai, etc would be just fine.

Hey UTT,

Thanks for the reply. The gang tool lathe, how much? 2 spindle? I think I looked at a hardinge a few days, my head is spinning at the amount of machines I have looked at. Is a gang tool lathe a horizontal turning center? If I picked up a mid90s-early 2000 one fairly cheap, could I update the outdated controls and how much? Also, I am trying to understand some specs on the x travel. I am looking at turning centers by minimum 20" distance between centers, then the x travel only shows 13", sometimes less. So if my part is up to 18" in length, does that mean that I can't cut the last 5" and have to remove the part and flip it to finish the contour. Why doesn't the x travel closely match the distance between centers on a turning center. I gives me the indication that I am looking at the wrong machine. I'm guessing you can only machine a certain distance from the chuck without chatter or vibration, but isn't that what the tailstock is for. Again I apologize, I am just confused.

Sorry, didn't see the 18". You need at a minimum a 20-24" between center turning center. Mid 90s to 2k for a name brand machine (fanuc controller) won't need to be updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor's Hammer View Post
    ...turning center that will turn 5/8" * 18" round rod in steel, aluminum, and brass (like a small ornate wooden balluster) in one step....
    What the heck is a balluster? (I suppose I should Google it).

Anyway, whatever it is if it is 5/8" diameter (or less) and 18" long you are certainly going to have to turn it between centers and you might find it difficult to avoid chatter even at that. And I guess a Balluster does not have the same diameter all the way along so you cannot use a travelling steady. Before laying out any money on anything I suggest you search around to find someone who has a machine and can try doing some samples for you.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Hi, what is your volume?

If it's in the dozens per day, a simple centre lathe will produce that many provided you know how to use one.

For a large volume you need either a capstan lathe, which will mean you stand there and work it, or a CNC lathe that works by itself once set.

Either way you need to have knowledge for what is intended, and plenty of boodle as it takes money to make money and tooling is not cheap.

If you don't have CNC knowledge or machining experience, you are wading in at the deep end, so be prepared to have a long learning curve experience.

BTW, if you indulge in yesterdays CNC oldies you will burn your fingers big time, as they are probably no longer any good for the seller and certainly no good for you.
    Ian.