585,758 active members*
4,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SL-30 Spinde Noise

So this machine has been plagued with issues since I started using it a year ago. Roughly 6 months ago the machine would make a loud "POP" when the spindle was started from a stopped position to >1000 RPM, the faster, the louder the sound. After a call to HAAS they sent out a tech to look at it, he declared that it was the drawbar actuator. So after a replacement, he says it was actually the spindle motor, then that was replaced. The machine still every once in a while gets a popping noise. If it's not popping, the spindle growls when it starts or stops. HAAS then tells us that it is the spindle and to run it until it dies.

Anyhow that's for the long story. Question being, anyone know what I am to potentially see in the future in the case of repairs/downtime?

Does it have a gearbox?

To Haas credit, they sent a tech out to look at a spindle on a new VF3 that was sounding like the bearings were going south. We documented it and video'd it.. they said run it till it drops. They said it would break 'em to replace ever spindle from every complaint, and that is pretty reasonable.
    They did say that if it did fail, they'd replace it, but we'd need to see effects in parts... poor finish, etc.

I've heard lathe spindle motors growling on start/stop, so that in itself wouldn't alarm me. The 'pop' doesn't sound good though.
    The spindle on the ST-30 I'm running is obnoxious, but it works.

Haas Factory Support

Please send me your info and serial number. [email protected]
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

No, there is no gear box, just h/l windings on the spindle motor. From what it sounds like the only way I can visualize what's happening is the spindle bearing being loose and free spinning around the spindle. Fast starts and stops causing it to "grab" causing the popping/growling. No surprise with the machine having over 13k run time. Should I request a replacement when I start getting parts out of tolerance, or when the thing starts a small fire is what I really want to know lol. Im not sure what they completely meant by "run till dead".

what the guy meant was that the spindle would actually need to fail in some manner that is quantifiable and evidenced in the cutting. .. like a glitch in the surface finish..
    Is that 13k hours or parts? ... assuming hours... not really all that much in total time on, a pretty fair amount in cycle time.

Be interesting to see what Ken has to say. He's probably more familiar with the machines than I am...