586,024 active members*
3,693 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Heidenhain TNC145 control

Hi,
    I have now my machine ready, is a Bridgeport CNC MDI series 2 with a Heidenhain 145 control. After some troubles with the X axis servomotor I finally have the machine working, I sent the motor to Encoders UK and they changed the light bulb assembly and adjusted the servo so now it goes fine.
    Now my problem is how to start working with the machine, The handwheel is working fine but I´m not able to move it with the joystick, I put the machine in manual mode and move the joystick and I hear the relay working but machine won´t move, I have read the manual but I don´t get what I´m doing wrong, anyone could point me how to do it?

Hi,
    just realised that there is a ring in the lever that has to be pulled before moving in order to work and a button in the middle....
    machine working fine now but only works at maximum feedrate when spindle is off.

I have done the serial cable to connect machine with Tncremo and is working good, so I can save and load programs, mow my question is ¿Which CAM software do you use with this control that has the right postprocessor for a TNC145?
    ¿Any heidenhain postprocessor will be compatible with this control/machine?

the 145 only takes conversational. I know Onecnc outputs conversational, unsure of others. It also has a 1000 line max, and my most recent program was 9000 lines in conversational, and it was for a full 3 axis machine. The 145 is 2 1/2 axis, meaning no helical, no true 3 axis moves= large cam files.

Honestly, if you are doing real contouring work[like the little race car in the magazine ads] this control is not going to work for you. If you are doing regular work, which is really 2 1/2 axis most of the time, the control is so easy to program, you don't need cam

The machine will only move at rapid speed with the spindle off (and the centre joystick button pushed in) - this is by design. With the spindle running, normal (non-rapid) feed rates should be available withouut pressing the button (but you still have to lift the collar IIRC).

I would try to use CamBam. With help from others, I've written a post-processor which outputs Heidenhain Conversational for the TNC151, most of it should also work with the TNC145 - as gus says, you will miss out on some of the tastier things like 3D moves, helical interpolation & the like, and you can't drip-feed it, so 1000 line programs only are the max.