584,842 active members*
4,342 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Wood Lathes / Mills > Interface board Rodgers board/ Romaxx Encoder Interface.

Interface board Rodgers board/ Romaxx Encoder Interface.

From what I have read about this board it runs two comparitors. Mach3 gives the instruction to move the axis to a new position and the interface board waits for the encoder to display the position of the axis. So there is another screen running on actual location of axis. You can set the error allowed tollerance in steps.

I am trying to get this board to work on my converted TOS FN20 as I use the mill from time to time in manual mode and my y and z are in inches but the X has a new ball Screw that is metric, so the dial scales are not of much use.

My mill has the Gecko 320X drives that do have an error hault, but only the offending axis is haulted which means I loose the part I am machining.

This issue I have now is that I cannot seem to get the board to communicate with my computer. Mach3 Using the LPT port seems to accept the Com1 address and has worked that way since I did the conversion. It is the second port that is on a StarTeck 2nd LPT port that I am having trouble finding the correct address.

Also I may have an issue with the AMT encoders, the X signal which I think is the Ground to the encoder interface needs to be connected to this board rather than the Gecko Drive.

If there is anyone using this board that I can bounce a few questions off, please chime in. I can use a hand.

I have spoken with Ron from Romaxx and he feels this is address issue for the 2nd parellel port or and encoder issue.

Also I purchased the board used from someone that has never had it up and running. I am temped to just by another new board to rule out a faulty board problem as I don't know of a way to test the board if it is functioning correctly.

Ark1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ark1 View Post
    From what I have read about this board it runs two comparitors. Mach3 gives the instruction to move the axis to a new position and the interface board waits for the encoder to display the position of the axis. So there is another screen running on actual location of axis. You can set the error allowed tollerance in steps.

I am trying to get this board to work on my converted TOS FN20 as I use the mill from time to time in manual mode and my y and z are in inches but the X has a new ball Screw that is metric, so the dial scales are not of much use.

My mill has the Gecko 320X drives that do have an error hault, but only the offending axis is haulted which means I loose the part I am machining.

This issue I have now is that I cannot seem to get the board to communicate with my computer. Mach3 Using the LPT port seems to accept the Com1 address and has worked that way since I did the conversion. It is the second port that is on a StarTeck 2nd LPT port that I am having trouble finding the correct address.

Also I may have an issue with the AMT encoders, the X signal which I think is the Ground to the encoder interface needs to be connected to this board rather than the Gecko Drive.

If there is anyone using this board that I can bounce a few questions off, please chime in. I can use a hand.

I have spoken with Ron from Romaxx and he feels this is address issue for the 2nd parellel port or and encoder issue.

Also I purchased the board used from someone that has never had it up and running. I am temped to just by another new board to rule out a faulty board problem as I don't know of a way to test the board if it is functioning correctly.

Ark1.

Well I have been at this all week in my spare time and have not gotten anywhere. I sent an email to Romaxx on Wednesday no reply. I suspect that they no longer support this product. In all fairness I purchased the board used, I am not sure if it working. I have no idea how to test it. I am not against purchasing another board but feel it is questionalbe if it will work.

What I observed when wired as per PDF file provided is that there was no DRO input to Mach3. Using the Jog function in Mach3 to move the drives was erattic and did not corispond to the MACH DRO position. I tried connecting the board to LPT 1 hoping to see DRO change with use of the hand wheels on the machine, but again no change in DRO status.

All of this is disapointing as I would from time to time like to use my machine in manual mode with DRO of the axis. Also an all axis hault due to error in position would be a great benifit. Like I say for $160 new if it worked this was a great bargan. If it worked I would have paid 4 times that amount. I have since put the encoders back to the Gecko drives and disabled the 2nd parellel port and all is working well as it once did.

The shafts on my drive motors are long enough to stack a second Quad encoder. If anyone knows of a stand alone DRO that can use Quaduture encoders please let me know. At least that way I will have DRO measurement on my machine in manual mode.

Ark1