584,837 active members*
5,183 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Best O/S for cnc

Im setting up my system my cpu is a 3.6ghz with 4 gb ram running Xp but Im thinking of installing a dual boot system with Windows 7. Can xp utilize 4 gb of ram? Which O/S is best to run my cnc with the above o/s that I have on hand? Thanks Rob

Rob,

My wife bought me a SONY VAIO laptop for Christmas and it came with Windows 7 OS installed. I seldom go to the shop so most of my PC usage is the laptop. I have had to slap my hand more than once to stop the urge to scrub Windows 7 and install Windows XP. I program in Mastercam v9 and that level will not run in Windows 7. I have spent all that I'm going to spend with CNC Software Inc. so I had to find a work around for Mastercam and Windows 7. First I tried Microsoft's virtual machine but it was a piece of crap in my opinion. Next I install the free VMWARE virtual machine with Windows XP and that is working great. I installed an OS called Tiny XP to minimize the amount of disk consumption. I can't tell you exactly how small it is but, it really small with all of the bloat removed. I can go from Windows 7 directly to Windows XP. The only bad is that the two windows share nothing. Copy something to Win 7 system clipboard and then switch to Win XP and the system clipboard is empty. I'm MAX'd out on my router so I cannot use the network as a link between the Win 7 and Win XP file system. I'm using my g-mail account to pass files back and forth. All in all it is better than a dual boot system so you might want to consider the virtual machine route. It has been years since I played with Mach 3 so I do not know how it reacts to Win 7.

RFB

Thanks for the reply reading into your comment I should leave xp as the cnc main O/S. I asked the question because I need a internet connection in the shop and Ive heard its best not to have the cnc internet rdy. I dont like antivirus software because it pops up for scans and trys to take over the computer. I thought I could boot up win7 for internet and use xp for cnc control. I also thought saving files on a usb or slaved hd if I ever needed to share files.

Why not use Win7 32 bit, according to the Mach website it plays well with Mach3. I assume thats what you are using. I have mine hooked to the internet with antivirus protection and have had no problems.

Mike

I like xp because Its rock solid but win7 is a current O/S I just bought my Mach 3 license will it allow me to install on each O/S with my 1 key until I decide which O/S to use?

Rob,

It actually makes no difference which OS is the host, although I have no experience with virtual machine in XP. As time passes and new OS versions are released the software companies seize the opportunity to obsolete your/their software. If your computer has to be a dual purpose machine then I would run 7 as the primary OS. If you have the availability then networking the two OS would go along ways towards improving the dual OS arrangement. It really sucks having to use e-mail as a file system interface.

RFB

Rob,

I failed to address your question regarding the Mach 3 license use on two OS. The license is simply a file that Mach 3 reads at start up. Therefore you can place the file in the appropriate folder in the file system of each OS.

RFB

Im off to a terrible start my machine is a zenbot 48x48 Shaun emailed me my mach 3 license and config file. The license is a dat. file I cant open and the config file is huge. I was hoping the config file could be imported to mach 3 and all settings updated automatically is this correct? Im hoping to solve the issues without calling again bothering him with such noob questions.

Rob,

Unfortunately the learning curve is a vertical line. There are several support groups that will help you through the mud. I would be willing to help but I'm far from being an expert with Mach 3.

Good Luck,
    RFB

Thanks RFB I got all sorted turns out you just drop and drag the files into mach 3 first hurdle cleared 999 more to go lol.

Re: Best O/S for cnc

Most individuals and business holders ignore the need for data security. They, unintentionally, expose their data to threats, malware, identity thefts, XSS attacks, and more. Thus, they lose all their precious data in seconds. McAfee provides a layer of protection to your Mobiles, PC, and Mac devices. It keeps away all malicious entities that are trying to reach your data, thereby, giving you a secure smart device usage. Since its establishment in 1987, it has held the hand of its customers tight, giving credible products to fight against cyber threats. Get your Mac, Mobile, and PC devices protected with cybercrime now! Download and install McAfee at www.mcafee.com/activate.
    Mcafee.com/activate
    Mcafee.com/activate
    Mcafee.com/activate
    Mcafee.com/activate
    Mcafee.com/activate