584,871 active members*
5,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G codes for 4th axis

I run a RH33 bed mill. Only have access to conversational programing on machine. I'm trying to do some 4 axis work. I need to get g codes to turn 4th axis on at start of program. Any help would be welcome.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Does the A axis position show on the display? If not, you have to change the Power parameter Number of Axes to a 4 and cycle power.

If so, the A axis is just another axis. Command a move with a line like: G1 F500 A90 for a feed move at 500 degrees per minute to an end point of 90 degrees.

Also, make sure the power is turned off whenever plugging or unplugging the cable. Doing it with the power on could damage the encoder.

Thank-you for your reply. I'm trying to get g codes to turn X or Y axis into rotary movement. This way I can use conversational programming to do rotary work.
    Yes,a axis is on screen. The manual I have is incomplete on G codes. There is 2 g codes one for x axis and 1 for y axis. I know I have to add an r value so rotary can understand feed rate on an rotary axis. If anyone has done this please put your 2 cents in. Thanks for any input.

I guess this is what you want:

Cylindrical Mapping On/Off (G107)

G107 can be used when there is a rotary axis to cut on the surface of a cylinder.

Before this g-code can be used, two MISC parameters must be set to valid values:

CYLINDRICAL PARKED AXIS
    (set PB471 to 1 for X, 2 for Y, 3 for Z)
    CYLINDRICAL ROTARY AXIS
    (set PB472 to 4 for A, 5 for B)

(The most ‘normal’ application replaces the Y axis with the A rotary axis so the MISC parameter CYLINDRICAL PARKED AXIS will be a 2 and the CYLINDRICAL ROTARY AXIS will be a 4)

While cylindrical mapping is active, any move specified for the “parked axis” will be transformed into a move for the “rotary axis”. While cylindrical mapping is active, it is impossible to move the parked axis.

Of the other two linear axes besides the parked axis, the axis that moves you into or away from the cylinder is sometimes called the “feed axis”, and the axis that moves you along the cylinder is sometimes simply called the “linear axis”.

Cylindrical mapping is turned by defining a cylinder radius with either an ‘R’ address or with the appropriate rotary axis address (either ‘A’ or ‘B’ depending on cylindrical rotary axis parameter):

G107 R10
    or
    G107 A10 (if A is the rotary axis)
    or
    G107 B10 (if B is the rotary axis)

For plane determinations, the rotary axis takes the place of the parked axis.

While cylindrical mapping is on, the radius can be re-defined by calling G107 again.

Cylindrical mapping is turned off by specifying a radius of zero, or by not specifying a radius:

G107
    or
    G107 R0
    or
    G107 A0 (if A is the rotary axis)
    or
    G107 B0 (if B is the rotary axis)

In the rest of the discussion, we will assume A is the rotary axis, Y is the parked axis, and Z is the feed axis.

While cylindrical mapping is on, two modes of programming can be used. In both modes, the rotary axis takes the place of the parked axis for plane determinations.

MODE 1- DIRECT ROTARY POSITION ENTRY

In this mode, ‘A’ addresses are used. For feed calculations, the distance traveled in degrees is converted into the equivalent travel on the surface of the cylinder.

Example1:

G107 A10 (cylinder radius 10 inches)
    (if we were in the XY plane, we are now in the XA plane)
    G1 F50 X-5 A-5 (for feed calculations, 5 degrees is converted to an arc length on the cylinder)
    G3 X-25 R10 (R is still always a linear distance in inches)
    G1 Z-2
    G107 A8 (after the feed axis is moved, usually want to re-define the cylinder radius)
    |
    |
    G107 A0

MODE 2- LINEAR POSITION TRANSFORMATION

In this mode, ‘Y’ addresses are used. ‘Y’ addresses will be transformed into the equivalent ‘A’ address. A programmed path written for the XY plane can be “rolled around” the cylinder without modifying the program beyond inserting G107.

Example2:

G0 X0Y0 Z0
    G107 R10 (cylinder radius 10 inches)
    (if we were in the XY plane, we are now in the XA plane)
    G1 F50 X-5 Y-5 (the necessary A move equivalent to Y-5 is calculated)
    G3 X-15 Y-15 I-5 J-5 (even in the XA plane, the -5 in J-5 is in still in inches)
    G3 X-25 R5 (R is still always a linear distance in inches)
    G1 Z-2
    G107 R8 (after the feed axis is moved, usually want to re-define the cylinder radius)
    |
    |
    G107 R0

NOTES:

1. While cylindrical mapping is active at a certain radius, the feed axis is generally not moved. If the feed axis is moved, it is generally moved in a separate block from any other axis moves, and then the cylinder radius is re-defined.

2. As noted above, the rotary axis takes the place of the parked axis for plane determinations. In general, only the plane that includes the linear axis and the rotary axis is useful. Other planes would involve moving the feed axis in conjunction with another axis, and probably will not produce useful results.

3. Cutter compensation is allowed.

4. A reference position can be defined for the parked axis for use with G28 or G30. The parked axis can then be commanded to go this “parked position” prior to invoking G107.

Thank-you ZZZZ That is what I was looking for.