584,800 active members*
4,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Milltronics Partner 1 - 449/409 Error pic/vid

Question Milltronics Partner 1 - 449/409 Error pic/vid

I have a Milltronics Partner 1G Centurion V

I power up the machine and when trying to Home Machine it moves X axis erratic and Z drifts down till error 449 or 409,

I put together a webpage to display pictures of the machine and a video of the problem, thanks in advance for your help.

here is the link to my Milltronics Page http://ohton.com/449.htm

Try to determine which axis is causing the problem.

Get into Level 3 by starting at the Main Menu, then go to F7 Parms - F1 Setup - F1 Level and entering PROTO3 enter at the Validation Code, and then a 3 at Access Level. More buttons will appear.

Go to F4 Axis and arrow down to Home Sequence. Edit the list to change the order the axis homes - 1 is first, 2 is second, etc. A 0 means that axis won't move but the control will consider the current position is Home.

One at a time, set each axis to a 1 with the others set to 0. Go back to the Main Menu and try to Home, Jog, etc. This should help you figure out which axis is failing.

Once you know which axis is bad, try swapping the 'bad' axis with a 'good' axis at the Drive card to see if the problem moves to the other axis or stays with the original axis. If it stays, the problem isn't the card. Swap back and try swapping the axis plugs on the card cage and test again.

Repeat the swap-and-test process, keep track of your testing, and sooner or later, you will determine the bad component.

ZZZZ,

I am trying to diagnose an axis problem on my mill too. You're help to the original poster has helped me to narrow my problem down to the Y axis, I can home the Z and the X axis by themselves fine. However, when I try to home the Y axis it ramps up and starts moving so fast that it alarms out regardless of what I put in the home velocity and max ipm settings. It's also drifting sometimes, I can hit reset and it will just start slowing moving and not showing its movement on the DRO. It also doesn't show anything on the DRO while manually turning the Y axis in E-Stop. I can't control it with jogging really either. It kind of works like a velocity? If I try to jog it to y+ it will start heading in that direction without stopping but the DRO doesn't keep moving with the axis it only responds to the key input, the further the DRO reads from 0 the faster the axis will move. If I use the jog inputs to bring the DRO back down to 0 it will stop moving, and if I make it a negative number, the axis will start going in the opposite direction just like with the positive.

Anyways, I'm not sure how much the specifics of the problem help. I know it's still a matter of swapping things out like you say until you narrow it down to the faulty component, but I'm a little stuck. I was able to swap the x and y cables going to the servo drives with no changes. The next thing I tried to do was swapping the card cage cables. I don't know if I'm doing it right, I tried to just reverse the x and y axis, output, and input plugs on the I/0 panel, But when I turned on the machine, it wouldn't let me reset. so I put the cables back and tried actually swapping the acroloop card locations but again, it wouldn't let me reset. How can you check the acroloop cards? And what would be the next step, actually swapping the x and y axis motors maybe? My guess is it's probably going to end up being the encoder or encoder wiring, but i want to be sure before I spend money on the wrong part.

Also, does anyone have experience taking the Y axis motor out on a partner I? I honestly haven't looked too hard at it yet, but I'm thinking by looking at the manual it could be unbolted and pulled out the front end of the base, but I'm thinking I'll have to take the enclosure off in order to get it to clear the base.

imsly2,

My partner 1E had same problem on Y axis. turned out to be it lost the B channel signals on the encoder. I took the enclosure off as I replaced all limit switch and encoder wiring(20 year old wiring) and the encoder. It looks like you might be able to get it out. It only took me about an hour to remove the enclosuer alone as I have to reseal it, and is much easier to clean the rest of the machine up and get at all the wiring. The previous owner complained that it leaked at base and it has a few spots that are star cracking . Pm SportyBob, he will get you right encoder, he has helped me in diagnosing all the issues on mine.

Thanks rl49,

I just got a chance to go out and look a little closer at what it's going to take to pull out the y axis motor, and the enclosure actually has a small removable panel right about where the motor would need to come out, which is great, because I had no idea how I was going to pull off that enclosure with a 9' ceiling and with it being as crowded in there as it is. I'm going to pick up a shop vac today and do some more cleaning and probably pull that motor out. The back y axis rail covers were in horrible shape and it looks like they just kept running it like that. Chips are piled up in the back of the base higher than the motor itself, so I'm hoping that maybe the wiring is just damaged underneath it. I'll probably be getting in touch with sportybob like you say if I can't find anything obviously wrong. Do you remember about how much an encoder cost?

Thanks!

imsly2,

It was 285 for the kit It comes with everything you need to change it out , including new coupler and gaskets for covers. Plus his invaluable tech support if you have questions. The only difficulty I had was getting the old style coupler adapter out, the set screw which is very small was stuck and stripped the hex out. I had to drill out the set screw to get motor half of coupler off. With wiring color code sheet he sends it worked perfectly and cured my problems.

I reviewed your pictures on your other post my Partner 1E enclosure splits with a 6" section where yours has the access panel yours looks like you can Attachment 191502Attachment 191504split it on the front side seams. It makes it so much easier to repair wiring , at least for me.
    PS I sent you a email to your private account.

Ron

The motor 'running away' is a indication that the control isn't getting the encoder signals.

If you want to check the Y encoder and its wiring, swap the X and Y Axis plugs ONLY. The control will now drive the Y motor when you move the X axis and vice-versa. If the problem stays with the Y axis, you have an issue with the wiring to the Y motor or the encoder itself. If the problem moves to the X axis, you have a problem with the Y acroloop card. There is also a very outside chance you might have a bad interface.

I would bet a fair amount you simply have a bad encoder, I've had to replace a lot of them for that exact symptom. Send a PM to SportyBob as has been suggested. He can supply you with a replacement.

Here is a copy of the Milltronics install sheet: