585,894 active members*
4,630 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport R2E3 delima, 220v VFD 3 phase Versus 220V Single Phase

Bridgeport R2E3 delima, 220v VFD 3 phase Versus 220V Single Phase

I am an old man, not as sharp as I used to be :-) So I need a little guidance.
    I bought a Bridgeport E2R3 CNC mill (Boss 8). And just bought a nice Hitachi 2hp VFD.

I have read quite a few posts that say only the spindle uses the 3 phase everything else can be powered by 240v Single phase.

I am trying to hook this up but came across this in the
    'Bridgeport R2E3 Series 1 Installation and Maintence Manual' page 4-1

70 VAC three phase - line voltage is fed to transformer T2. T2 is a 3 phase step down transformer. It steps the line voltage down to 70 VAC Three phase. This voltage is used by power supply PS1. PS1 provides 100 VDC to the NC414 axis drive controllers.
    At this point I am lost. How do I make this transformer work with 220 single phase

i also have a r2e3 i suggest you purchase or build a rotary phase converter 5hp min the vfd you bought is only 2hp marginal for even just the spindle motor save it for a retrofit if you ever convert the r2e3 to mach or emc i use temco ph converter you can buy the static 5hp box and hook a 1700 rpm 5hp 3ph motor to it or buy one of their 5hp packages quick and easy also you want to check the wiring make sure the machine and spindle motor is wired for 230 before you hit the power switch good luck any other questions just post rich

Quote Originally Posted by ronderkis View Post
    I am an old man, not as sharp as I used to be :-) So I need a little guidance.
    I bought a Bridgeport E2R3 CNC mill (Boss 8). And just bought a nice Hitachi 2hp VFD.

I have read quite a few posts that say only the spindle uses the 3 phase everything else can be powered by 240v Single phase.

I am trying to hook this up but came across this in the
    'Bridgeport R2E3 Series 1 Installation and Maintence Manual' page 4-1

70 VAC three phase - line voltage is fed to transformer T2. T2 is a 3 phase step down transformer. It steps the line voltage down to 70 VAC Three phase. This voltage is used by power supply PS1. PS1 provides 100 VDC to the NC414 axis drive controllers.
    At this point I am lost. How do I make this transformer work with 220 single phase
    I know nothing about your CNC, but a three phase stepdown transformer, is nothing but 3 single phase transformers, one per leg. So, I would guess, that if you could buy one of those cheap 100 dollar 220 VAC to 220 3-phase converters, and use it to just power the three phase step down transformer. Seems like a waste, but that's the cheapest way to do it.

I think when people refer to only the spindle running off three phase, they are talking about retrofit kit. Three phase 100 VDC are used, because they can be cheaper to build, and have a cleaner voltage output. Less ripple in the DC output.

Thank you all!
    I want to convert to a ajax kit (That's why I bought the vfd), but first I want to get it all running. After doing some research I had read that the only thing that uses the 3 phase was the spindle. There was even a link to the same manual (I have) and page (that I have) but it said the servo transformer was fed with single phase. I checked and sure enough my book on the same page says the servo transformer is fed with 3 phase. :-(

I was planning (thinking), I would power the spindle with the vfd and everything else with just my single phase power. :-( But instead I will spend $600 on a 7.5 (cnc balanced) rotary phase converter.

Check your transformer, mine says three phase in the manual but the schematics show single phase and the wiring is single phase.

My transformer is physically verified as having 3 phase in and 3 phase out :-)

Re: Bridgeport R2E3 delima, 220v VFD 3 phase Versus 220V Single Phase

Hey Ronderkis... Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm investigating the same thing as you were dealing with. I have an R2E3 that is already retrofitted but was running at a shop that had 3 phase power. The T2 transformer is still wired for 3 phase but I have single phase in my shop. I'm pretty good with electrical so I think I can figure it out once I get my hands on the wiring diagram for the T2 transformer showing how all of the legs are set up. Thanks for posting voltages above. I'll shoot for getting 70V AC out of T2 and 100v DC out of the rectifier section after I verify that 100v DC is correct for my servo drives and servo motors. What did you end up doing with your setup? Thanks!

Also, does anyone have a PDF of the Series I R2E3 Installation and Maintenance Manual that they could send me? Can't find a pdf online and the hard copies on ebay are stupidly expensive. Thanks

Re: Bridgeport R2E3 delima, 220v VFD 3 phase Versus 220V Single Phase

ronderkis

Many have done this with no problem at all, we did a Bridgeport Torque cut 22 not so long ago, & runs perfect on 240v single phase, your machine needs much less than this machine does

If someone has a wiring schematic of the transformers it will be easy to see what needs to be done,there are only a few wires to change, & wire in your VFD
    Mactec54