585,712 active members*
3,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > plunge points for contours and pockets???

plunge points for contours and pockets???

Our shop just purchased mcam after using surfcam for years. The last version of mcam I used was V8 I think (been awhile) and I'm having flashbacks from the simple things that mcam did not want to do....

is there a simple way that I can just pick a plunge point for contours and pockets that I am missing?????

all I want to do is define a point that my tool is going to start from......like where I already pre-drilled a hole for a slot, circle, or amoeba shaped thing.

thanks in advance....I'm sure I will have some more questions along the way as my head hurts from beating it on my bench.

In the lead in/out page there is a check box for "Entry Point"...check the box, then you need to pick the point you want to use, then your contour...or just add the point and move it in front of the contour (in the chain manager).

Starting from a fresh toolpath, pick the point first, then the contour...then check the box in the lead in/out section...Any of these ways will get you where you need to be.
    Tim

thank you.

I actually found it defined in another thread for what I was doing, but knowing that I can pick a point and insert before a contour using the chain manager is something I will have to try. That chain manager is something I need to "remember" to look at as it has not been part of my routine with Surfcam. It's also how I discovered that you can circle mill a point as I "thought" I was doing a circle. once I discovered that I was actually able to increase my hole/bore size by changing my tool size.

This last week has made my head scrambled eggs of the worst kind....watched a few of the tutorials to get me refreshed on the new layout, but was not going to watch a 20 minute video just to get a simple answer to my question.

I swear there are some features that Surfcam was really handy at doing quickly/easily that I figured Mcam would have incorporated by now....but at least now I have my UNDO button back.

edit: to prevent from starting another thread is there a default setting to NOT have a G91 appear at end of tool cycle. It appears before G28 Z0 I believe. Using a standard Haas post. I don't want to be in G91 mode unless I tell it to be. Ever. I know I can set the machine defaults but was hoping it's a setting I can adjust and set permanently by default in Mcam. thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
    edit: to prevent from starting another thread is there a default setting to NOT have a G91 appear at end of tool cycle. It appears before G28 Z0 I believe. Using a standard Haas post. I don't want to be in G91 mode unless I tell it to be. Ever. I know I can set the machine defaults but was hoping it's a setting I can adjust and set permanently by default in Mcam. thanks again.
    The G91 is meant to work with the G28 in this instance to make the machine go home in Z
    - if no G91, the tool length origin ( with or without length compensation) will go to the workpiece origin, normally the spindle nose being zero-----would end up putting your tool through the part

Best to modify your post processor to switch it back to absolute mode
    ie insert a n$, "G90", e$ into the correct position of the post

so apparently a G49 is not as good an option as setting the machine to incremental mode. :tired:

brilliant.

appreciate the input.

what version are you playing with. as ALLOT has changed from V8 for sure. but you had the option back then to.
    I can bet that anything you could do in Surfcam, mastcam can do these days. they were behind MC for a few years. they did start out ahead in the beginning years but lost that fast.
    Have you thought about a online class?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .