584,837 active members*
5,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 9 of 10 78910
    Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    I believe they scratch built the GUI using Python. It's very clean and nice to use. I will show some screen shots when I get my machine.

Cheers,

BW
    There are probably several of us following the Tormach lathe status with great interest so thanks for update. When do you expect to get your lathe?

Mike

Mike, 2 or 3 weeks. I am still organizing some rigging details, and it is conceivable it might slip, but they're motivated and the machine looked ready to go when I was in Wisconsin.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    I believe they scratch built the GUI using Python. It's very clean and nice to use. I will show some screen shots when I get my machine.

Cheers,

BW
    What would be awesome, and would mean hundreds of points to them in my book, would be if they actually make their lathe ui available to the public. Otherwise, they're simply standing on the shoulders of the giants who actually built their controller, and profiting from it to a large degree none-the-less; which would mean MANY points against them..

Any indication of which route?

No neutral option, eh? :-)

Just out of curiosity how thick does Tormach recommend for the foundation under the new lathe? My Grazziano SAG12 lathe manual recommends 17” thick concrete pad 8” larger than lathe footprint , which BTW is about the same as the footprint for the Tormach lathe. I’m bringing this up because today I was putting in forms to lay concrete for a 7’x7’ extension to my shop to house the Graziano lathe. I am only pouring 12” thick concrete though reinforced with two layers of rebar and steel mesh. I am not sure what the reasoning Graziano used when they came up with 17” (450mm) thick concrete pad.

Don

Don,
    Your Grazziano sounds like a significant piece of iron. Haas specs a 6" floor for their 4100lb TL1 lathe, same for their 6500lb TL3. At 1500lb for the Tormach I would guess conventional 4" residential concrete would be enough. I couldn't find foot print dimension on the web so can't compare PSI loading.

Haas Foundation Requirements
    Machines must be set on a solid, sound and stable, steel bar-reinforced concrete slab poured directly on the grade. In general, the 6" (150 mm) concrete floor of industrial buildings is suitable for machine placement.
    • Concrete shall be 3,500 psi (240 bar) at 28 day strength. Concrete aggregate shall be 1" (25 mm) mix.
    • Steel reinforcing shall be 40 ksi (2700 bar) tensile strength.
    • The excavation shall be cut neat against undisturbed soil. Any loose material in the excavation shall be removed so that the concrete bears on the undisturbed natural soil. This will help to prevent settling

Keep the leveling feet of the machine at least 12" (300 mm) from the edge of the concrete slab

Thanks for the reply. The Graziano SAG12 is a 12”x32” manual lathe with a footprint of 17” x 66” and weighs 2200 lbs. I am having 2 cu yards of 4500 psi concrete pumped over a matrix of six 3/8” steel rebar anchored into the existing 12” thick slab on one side and six 3/8” steel rebar anchored into the house foundation on the adjacent side. Under the rebar matrix I am going to use steel mesh. Under the four leveling feet of the Graziano is going to be 5” diameter ½” thick steel discs as recommended by the Graziano lathe manual. BTW I also get to use my new Harbor Fright SDS Bosch clone hammer drill for drilling the rebar anchor holes. Already used the HF SDS Hammer drill to chisel existing concrete to make room for the forms. This is almost as much fun as machining. Not going to wait the 28days for the slab to be at full strength, only a week.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    No neutral option, eh? :-)
    Not really, once you decide to piggy back onto an open source project, there's a right way and a wrong way. The neutral option was what they have with the mill..

Isn't that true for every technical development since before the Stone Age? Every generation stands on the shoulders of the preceding generations, all without so much as a by your leave, the ungrateful bar stewards.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    Otherwise, they're simply standing on the shoulders of the giants who actually built their controller, and profiting from it to a large degree none-the-less

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Isn't that true for every technical development since before the Stone Age? Every generation stands on the shoulders of the preceding generations, all without so much as a by your leave, the ungrateful bar stewards.

Phil
    Saw the lathe this week. Generally speaking they are getting real close. Some testing go on right now. Some small details to finish. Plus things like manuals, support materials, etc have to be created. The new controller interface is very well done.

It's been almost a couple months since the last post in this thread or on the blog. Any progress or updates on the lathe? I'm a school looking to buy. Is there at least a rough idea of cost and release date?

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post

Phil
    Technical developments are coming so fast now that "Today, we are privileged to stand side-by-side with the giants upon whose shoulders we are standing."

(can't find the source, but I know I saw this somewhere)

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
    It's been almost a couple months since the last post in this thread or on the blog. Any progress or updates on the lathe? I'm a school looking to buy. Is there at least a rough idea of cost and release date?
    Get yourself on the Tormach CNC lathe newsletter list and you'll get updates as soon as they are made publicly available. I believe that one of the pages on the Tormach web site estimates availability in Q1 2014. No word on cost yet so far as I know.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
    They have shipped some to beta testers. Bob Warfield of CNC Cookbook has one though he hasn't written much about it so far.

bob

I'm so glad I didn't wait. There's no way I could have sat on that money I'd saved up until next year some time.

I'm sure it's going to turn out to be an excellent hobby machine for those willing to wait. If it takes a whole lot longer I may be able to save up some more money to actually buy one; provided it's not over-the-top expensive.

MetalShavings

I don't think it's going to be cheap, just based on how massive it is - when I saw it in person a week ago, it was MUCH larger than I'd expected. Even the stand is made of welded-up 3/16" steel plate, not sheet metal. I'd guess price will probably between $10-14K. It does look nicely made, and I'd put it well above a "hobby" level machine. It looks to me to be far beefier than any "hobby" lathe I've ever seen, but rather "stripped-down", and not as full-featured as a commercial turning center.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray - were all of the tooling options on display?

It's gong to be interesting to see what sorts of accessories are developed for it down the road.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Ray - were all of the tooling options on display?

It's gong to be interesting to see what sorts of accessories are developed for it down the road.

Mike
    Not really. I didn't get to see it operating. The machine was sitting on a pallet. The tool-changer was sitting on the floor in a crate. The only "tooling" I saw was a big rack of 5C collets.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Too bad it wasn't up and running. If Bob has gotten too busy with other projects, they could always send it to me for beta testing <g>.

Mike

We are now close to 20,000 views since I initially posted this inquiry; and we're still waiting. From the sounds of it, it appears that some headway has been made but, I'm sure glad I didn't wait when I had my money saved up.

MetalShavings

Page 9 of 10 78910