585,728 active members*
4,696 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cnc from printer

Hi, I'm new in cnc. My idea is to build cnc machine cheep and easy.
    I got:
    Attachment 183276
    old printer
    new computer with USB
    and a problem how to connect them?

here is inside
    Attachment 183288
    there I put a writing tool
    Attachment 183290
    is Arduino Uno good to conect computer to engines it got USB?

I have opened printer.
    it got 2 servo motors and one working direction:
    Attachment 183280

here a good place to add writing tool:
    Attachment 183286

computer should move date from dxf=>gcode=>USB=>device=>engine
    is http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno good for that?

and a new idea where put a writing tool:
    Attachment 183282
    but what kind of device will help me to move engines?

For a good working computer should move information from dxf => gcode => device => engine
    is Arduino - ArduinoBoardUno a good device for that?

here is a good place for place writing tool:
    Attachment 183284

computer should move information from dxf => gcode=> USB=> device=> engine
    is Arduino - ArduinoBoardUno good for this?

Hi,
    I think it is a good idea for light work, like PCB or plastic, but that printer gives you one axis only. You need at least two more. I also have that idea of converting my old HP G85 all in one printer/fax/scanner but in my case I have two axises since the scanner part would provide a second axis. Anyway, you still need a driver, which you have to build or buy. Ardunio alone is not enough, you need some more power than that.

Anyway, without a solid electronic and mechanical knowledge (also programming if you are going to use a micro-controller) I would not recommend anyone to start such project. It takes too much time and in the end costs too much money, so unless you have the time, the knowledge and the money just give it up before it is too late. Buy a kit or a ready made CNC instead, I think that the probability of success is higher in that case. There are many stories on this forum about problems, failures and many demonstrations of serious underestimation of efforts and needed knowledge.

thank's for post
    yes it will be for light things, now only for writing on paper. The cnc work like that:
    Attachment 183318
    red x and y directions are need to print any think, now I don't care about z. I need to move x and y from my computer. Y will be made using second engine from printer.
    Now I got:
    Mach3 software it works nice on simulation
    Attachment 183320
    probably it will need some extra drivers for my 64bit Windows like they write on companys site.
    so I can change dxf file to gcode.
    I know that is a problem with Voltage thats a bigest problem USB works on 5.00±0.25 V the same as Arduino and engines hmm.. probably about 30V.
    Buying a kit great idea but this prototype need to be max cheep and ecology to use some parts in the future.
    I'm reading an searching web all time, does anybody know if Arduino or some other device can recive live data from computer like does data from Mach3 to be able to move engine?

does anybody here work on PIC or AVR chips for servo controller whitch chip is better?

I use PIC for every kind micro controller application I ever made. I have not yet made any servo controller and most probably never will because there are ready made chips to do the task much simpler, faster and easier. I don't think that PIC is better than AVR, it depends on what you prefer and which you are mostly familiar with. There are plenty different type of PICs, any of them can be made to control steppers with. In your case I'd buy a ready made controller board.

Google and you will find many stepper controllers for both PIC and AVR.

Hello

I recently built such thing like you are planning to. Had absolutely zero/nada electronic knowledge but let me say: It can be done.
    For using the pen you would actually need 3 motors. Minimum 2 steppers and 1 servo. The servo would serve as the pen up/down mover.

To control the steppers with an Arduino I used Easydrivers.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_jfHOCG_kco

This is a video of my build holding a pen. Actually it is a laser engraver from printer and scanner but very similar to your project. Maybe this could help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianmcmill View Post
    Hello

I recently built such thing like you are planning to. Had absolutely zero/nada electronic knowledge but let me say: It can be done.
    For using the pen you would actually need 3 motors. Minimum 2 steppers and 1 servo. The servo would serve as the pen up/down mover.

To control the steppers with an Arduino I used Easydrivers.

First drawing test with DIY CNC plotter (no z-axis) - YouTube

This is a video of my build holding a pen. Actually it is a laser engraver from printer and scanner but very similar to your project. Maybe this could help you.
    Very nice work. Of course it can be done without prior electronic knowledge, you learn as you progress, but it takes a lot longer and some people underestimate the time and overestimate their own capacity.

Yeah you are right. This took me quite a while. 4 Month to get to this point in the video.
    To the TP: Check out this guy. He made a very similar thing. He used a servo for the pen.
    Motöri the Plotter

I have find somwthing interesting here Easy To Build Stepper Controller from Recycled Materials | Colvins.ca
    it is probably the cheapest way
    In the near future I will have to discover how to connect 4 wire engine to 5 wire like there
    and I got very interested in electronic now and beginning some programming

Do yourself a favor and safe time and MONEY with buying a ready made controller. Easydrivers are cheap. You will not become happy with a unipolar driver like in the link.
    1. )Unipolar steppers are kind of old fashioned. They have less torque than bipolar steppers (salvaged from printers).
    2.) Nearly all if not ALL steppers you can buy (for cnc) or salvage from printers are bipolar steppers.

You will safe time, money and curses if you buy a bipolar driver for hobby use.
    Trust me on this.

P.S. I actually wrote a pretty comprehensive tutorial about how to build a (laser) plotter from scrap. The cost were about 50€.
    You would need another servo and a driver for Z axis.
    Have a look

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fran...aser-Engraver/

A lot of printers also use BLDC pancake style motors, with the motor mounted directly on the driver circuitry. And I would have to agree with the previous poster, buying a ready-made controller makes much more sense. Unless your quite proficient at electronics and designing, and have cheap access to materials, it will be very hard to make anything as good, let alone cheaper, than the current stuff out there that's dirt cheap.

Some interesting links there though guys, I'll have to check them out.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Yes I have find some engine specification it is bipolar near to this http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/latest/Cata...42sp_6nk_e.pdf
    so now no use of old computer I need to look for arduino one of my idea is to do it on a breadboard like this Arduino - Setting up an Arduino on a breadboard I buy myself USBasp programmer and I'm interesting more and more on this. Yes I know I can buy everything I can buy new CNC realy I can, but it is not all about that