585,722 active members*
4,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wells index 420 with Heidenhain convert to Mach 3

I just bought this machine, it has large servo motors and three servo dynamics drivers. I believe that there is one step and one direction signal for each axis. Can I tap into the Heidenhain switches that issue these commands on the control panel? I plan to add an A axis. Which 4 axis breakout board is best to work with. Should I go with USB or printer port card? Which is best? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Post what drives you have. I remember most servo dynamics requiring +/- 10 volt for direction, or direction and 0-10volt for speed.

Servo dynamics controller .... Picture was worthless here s the model no of driver

SD4-1525-101-3 Serial no 294 Thanks for the reply

I could not figure out how to get mach3 (step and direction digital output) to work with analog (+or- 10 volt) drives. The answer is to replace the old brush type dc servos with newer brushless motors. The newer drives such as compumotor GV,GV6,GVK drives receive digital (step and direction signals. That's a lot of retrofitting but it will be worth it! Lots of ebay $ too. I'm looking into running this Bridgeport + size machine on about a horsepower per axis (x+y) using a smaller frame motor and about a 2 to 1 belt drive. Does this sound sufficient? I get all bogged down in hp, oz.-in, NM, etc etc.