585,753 active members*
4,194 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > I will shortly have my new(old) bridgeport R2E3 running. What do I need for tooling?

I will shortly have my new(old) bridgeport R2E3 running. What do I need for tooling?

I have a kwik switch 200 installed on machine.

Should I change that to something else before I buy any tooling?

The people I bought the Bridgeport from gave me about 20 various sized end mills and stuff.

And what would be the best vice for me to invest in? I will buy it used (I am on a retirement fixed income :-)

At this point I don't know what I want to mill but it will most likely be aluminum , steel and stainless steel.

I am so new to this I don't even know the proper terminology for this question.

Kwik switch 200 tool holders can be expensive. Changing isn't cheap either. What size shank is your end mills? Ebay has a bunch for sale, just type in "kwik switch 200" to search. It usually starts around 40 bucks a tool holder (and up). If you need 1/2" or 3/8" tool holders, I can probably get you some cheap.

Your best bet is to buy a couple of different sized collet holders and just pick up what ever size collets that you might need. The collets can be found in assorted sizes on Ebay for pretty cheap. A lot of us have extra collet holders that can be had at reasonable prices.
    Changing spindles is pricey and a fair amount of work.
    Bill

Thanks! I went to ebay a suggested and got what I need at least to start :-)

And what would be the best vice for me to invest in? I will buy it used (I am on a retirement fixed income :-)

A Kurt would be ideal, assuming that one would ever come up for sale. Highly unlikely.

There are a couple of good Kurt knockoffs out there.

Tom