585,930 active members*
4,023 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > How To Trace A Bitmap Or Image!!!!

How To Trace A Bitmap Or Image!!!!

please tell me how to trace an image. i have to simply trace an image but when i try to do it manualy it doesnt turn out like the image. i was hoping there was a command to trace a bitmap or image to make things easier. if not please tel me the steps
    attached is the image to be traced
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shockersticker.jpg  

I assume you have tried using the help files?
    Pull down - View
    Click Background Bitmap -- Place

Then use the tools to trace your image -

Is that it? Or are you looking for a Quick Import feature? I am too - but so far its the manual steps...
    :cheers: Jim

Maybe you can find and use a vectorizer program to get to a form that you can import - like BMP to DXF or something - but for a simple image try the steps outlined.
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Use a program called Inkscape. It is free and has a bitmap trace function, you can then export the file in pdf, AI, or eps and they will all open in rhino.

For the best tracing in Rhino you have to have Rhino V4 and use a feature called pictureframe. Slick and quick but not automatic. For instance on this image you have posted, you could trace either the inside or outside of the blue hand or both for that matter. Just as a reminder, the image you posted is a copyright image. I downloaded it to do a trace for you in Rhino but I can't do this one due to the copyright.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jmedick View Post
    please tell me how to trace an image. i have to simply trace an image but when i try to do it manualy it doesnt turn out like the image. i was hoping there was a command to trace a bitmap or image to make things easier. if not please tel me the steps
    attached is the image to be traced
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

That's Easy to do took me les than 5 min in Adobe Illustrator to trace by hand, Rhino would have been even easier for me to do it accurately... use this as an excercise in using Rhino. I'd post the one that I did but as Mike said... it's copyrighted... I'm not going there. (Hope that's not too much of a shocker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails decal.jpg  
    Nathan

I second ozturbo's suggestion.
    Inkscape's vector conversion is pretty good, and Inscape is free, as in beer.

WinTopo DXF (Free)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 77.JPG  
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    WinTopo DXF (Free)

So what did you end up using? I usually just zoom WAY in and use splines to follow the curves.