584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy newbie first cnc setup and stuck HELP!

I purchased a 3 axis kit from Keling using the C10 board , KL4030 drivers, with KL23H286-20-8B steppers wired as Bipolar (parallel) , KL350-36 power supply.
    using diagrams downloaded from the site. and wireing instructions that I could find. The KL-4030 switches are set 1:down (0) 2:down (0) 3:up (1) this is for 1/8 step. 5:up (1) 6: up (1) &: down (0) this is to set current to 2.7 . I have followed the instructions and read every schematic a dozen times.

Even went out and bought a third computer that meets and exceeds the specs required linuxcnc and mach3.

assembled all the componets on a board in my computer work area wired up each item and checked them several times. hooked it to the computer turned it on and nothing. and then I went back and did it again and again and again. Nothing linuxcnc stepconfig wizard I thought would be my best bet. I can not get anyone of these step motors to twitch.

what am I doing wrong. Losing a lot of sleep over this and I am to old to lose sleep.
    Help please!

There is an Open Source forum here that will be a better place to get help with LinuxCNC issues.

First question is do the motors "thump" when power is applied? If no, the proper settings in your software probably aren't correct yet or there is a wiring problem. If they thump but don't respond to manual jog commands then the motors are getting power but other settings need to be enabled. If there was no smoke, you are already ahead of the game...

CarveOne

These things usually don't automatically work the first time on a new build. Be patient and work through the process of getting it up and running.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Thanks for the fast reply. Yes! on first power up they thump. The only smoke is coming out of me. Before I started cleaning up after kids I was a digital electronics maintenance tech. Some of the old traits still hang on. I am very meticulous about setup. And I have gone over the setup at least a dozen times.
    I do have a couple of concerns about the C-10 board. The drawing from Keling shows pin 13 as limit switch , indicator is listed as N.C. schematic trace symbol indicates N.O. , I have looked at all the C-10 information I can find so I have gone with the N.O. option guessing it was just a mis-print.
    Also on the motor setup doing Bipolar (parallel) setup it lists the current as 2.8 amps on the kl-4030 I put the settings switches at the 2.7 amp . I have checked the voltage of the KL-350-36 power supply and it is right at 35.8 volts d.c. out.

when setting up on linuxcnc and mach3 I disabled the the E-STOP and LIMIT SWITCHES just in case they were preventing movement.
    I have searched for a program on the web that is only for testing like a simple jog setup but with no luck. to your knowledge is there such a program or am I wasting my time.
    any other suggestions or questions would be gratefully accepted.

thank you much

there is an enable pin on the driver, it needs to be wired to amplifier enable in linuxcnc. looks like it gets grounded to enable the drivers.

Thanks alan_3301 I tried it and I am not real sure how I would wire it. But i did run a wire from pin 17 to the positive enable on the KL-4030 but I am not real sure that is what you meant. If you could be more precise I would appreciate it. I DVM on it to test for voltage and nothing was there when I ran the test.

Thanks for the info though , any little bit helps.
    Harv Johnson

I'm not totally sure because I have no direct experience with the keiling stuff.
    Ignore what I said about the enable pin, according to the c10 pdf it defaults to enabled. you should be able to leave it alone.

http://www.kelinginc.net/KL-4030WithC10.pdf Have you seen this pdf? It shows how to wire it up.
    also see: http://www.kelinginc.net/c10.pdf and http://www.kelinginc.net/KL-4030.pdf

I don't see anything in the c10 docs on what parallel port pins connect to which functions on the breakout board. That is kind of crucial info.
    How did you figure out what pins are for what?

I downloaded a schematic for setup from the keling site. I followed it down to the letter. I am really at a loss on this one. I got rid of all my electronics testing tools years ago. But from what I can tell and read on the forums it should work , but it doesn't! My wife is getting ready to kill me , i spend all my free time looking for that little bit of information or wisdom that makes these motors turn. well over 80 hours and three computers. Right now I am at the point of trashing the whole thing and starting over. I have been looking at other breakout boards to see if any would work with me. also drivers other than what I have. but first I might change a chip or two.

frustrated!

thanks for your help!

Are you sure you're getting 5 volts out of the parallel port? Some parallel ports only deliver around 3 volts, which isn't enough to drive the drivers.

Mark

All limit switches should be NC, this way any wiring problem (broken wire, loose connector) is detected at the right time so the risk of crashing the machine is greatly reduced.
    http://www.build.cl

GOT IT! The jumper on the C-10 BOB does need to be set to 5v not com/grnd. All three axis purrrrrrrrrr! Had to make a few tweaks and still have to , but it works now I can start mounting motors. and really fine tune. Hey every body thanks for all the tips , every little bit helps believe me this project has taught me a lot.