585,604 active members*
3,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > VCarving tutorial?

VCarving tutorial?

Is there a VCarving tutorial anywhere? I can't seem to figure out exactly what VCarving does. I mean, I know what VCarving is, but I just don't understand MC's implementation.

There's not tutorial what I know. I can make one when time isn't flying by.
    I'm restructuring the workshop at the moment so I'm pretty busy with that.

But lets say you have two polylines in parallel. If you use a tapered cutter (V-carving bit that is) the cutter will cut deep enought to touch both polylines at the same time. If the lines aren't parallel it means that the cutter will go deeper in one end than in the other, the toolpath will go deeper and deeper to keep double contact all the time. It works pretty good with polylines created with the Rhino Text command.

EDIT: have you ever played a flipper game where the ball jumps on a rail made out of to steel bars and rolls away to another place in the flipper board? That's exactly the same idea. if the ball is the cutter it touches both steel rails (or in this case, polylines) at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by svenakela View Post
    There's not tutorial what I know. I can make one when time isn't flying by.
    I'm restructuring the workshop at the moment so I'm pretty busy with that.

But lets say you have two polylines in parallel. If you use a tapered cutter (V-carving bit that is) the cutter will cut deep enought to touch both polylines at the same time. If the lines aren't parallel it means that the cutter will go deeper in one end than in the other, the toolpath will go deeper and deeper to keep double contact all the time. It works pretty good with polylines created with the Rhino Text command.

EDIT: have you ever played a flipper game where the ball jumps on a rail made out of to steel bars and rolls away to another place in the flipper board? That's exactly the same idea. if the ball is the cutter it touches both steel rails (or in this case, polylines) at the same time.
    Ah....that makes perfect sense. I was getting bizarre tool paths and I was trying to figure out the "rule" for what it's doing. Honestly, I don't even have a use for V carving at the moment, but I went down the rabbit hole trying to figure out what it's doing! Thanks a bunch