585,591 active members*
2,631 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X3/SX3/G0619/G0463 > Proud owner of a X3 CNC conversion. Question on disassemble.

Proud owner of a X3 CNC conversion. Question on disassemble.

Hello everyone, new member here but I figured this is the place to ask.

I'm the owner of a stepper motor based CNC conversion of the X3 mill. I purchased it used for cheaper than I could have built it myself, and am very happy so far. I managed to move it, and will be able to place it on the bench top, without taking it apart. However I may want to disassemble parts of it for inspection or cleaning or modifying down the road. The previous owner recommended against it, when I suggested it as a method of moving it as smaller individual pieces. he said something about the alignment pins, whatever that means.

So I guess in short; I've seen many photos and tutorials on taking the stock X apart for cleaning or inspection, is there any reason I couldn't do the same of a CNC conversion? I understand you don't want to run the ballnut off a ballsrew (or the balls will escape) but is there any trick or danger of taking it apart from a accuracy point of view?

PS. Anyone have recommendations for a home built designed workbench for permanent mounting?

Hi Edmund. Welcome to the Zone and to the ranks of X3 owners.

Please post some pics, so we can see what you have.

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Why not clean what ya can, start her up and make parts?

Well I'm not planning to tear it apart right away, but if I decide to add an automatic oiler or such or other maintenance I would like to know anything that might complicate disassembly and reassembly.

Right now I got to clean the room I'm gonna put it in then build or buy a suitable bench to put it on.

I also need to put the motion control into a housing and buy a power supply for it.

two questions I am thinking of...

can I tie the gecko g540 e stop into the x3 e stop switch?

what would be the best way to mount the x3 to the bench?

I like the simplicity of leveling feet but am worried that it'll be less ridgid, so if I mount it to the bench with shims to do l it? Do I use rubber washer to reduce vibration? Set the whole thing on a big rubber Matt and bolt it down?

I'll post pictures once I get it on the bench. I'm leaving it strapped to the hand dolly for ease of maneuvering.

Quote Originally Posted by edmund dupont View Post
    two questions I am thinking of...

can I tie the gecko g540 e stop into the x3 e stop switch?
    Yes you could do it the way I did it on this page:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...version-4.html

But if you are going to put an enclosure around the mill, you will want to have the Estop mounted outside the enclosure.

what would be the best way to mount the x3 to the bench?
    Bolt it down securely. If you want vibration dampening, put thick strips of hard rubber under it first. Tractor Supply sells a little 1/2 inch thick hard rubber pad that's perfect for this. IIRC, it's in the horse grooming section.

CR.

Thanks to the link to the lathe post. Well conversely, would it then be better to tie the mill estop into the g540 estop switch when I build the housing for it?

that introduces more complexity, I understand the g540 e stop would stop the table movement, but even if it could shut down the spindle I would he worried of some issue causing it to fail vs a physical off switch.

You can do it either way, or even just kill the power to the mill. But remember that the whole point of an EMERGENCY switch is that it be right up front and accessible. You could double up the mill Estop switch for now and change it later when you enclose.

A good place to get the two needed EStop switches:
    Emergency Stop 4 Terminal Mushroom Push Button Switch - Amazon.com

CR.