584,808 active members*
5,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

LetterCam Sneak Peak

I wrote a program called LetterCam that is mainly used for generating DXF files and GCode for cutting out letters. I know you can use other software for this but I just wanted to write my own since I'm a programmer. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that most software has but its easy to use with the basic features.

It should be available within a week. Since I want to cut letters I was gonna have to buy a TTFtoDXF program for $100 and then load the DXF into SheetCam since it was the only program that cuts the inside first. I'm a registered user of SheetCam anyways. LetterCam will cut the inside first also. You can set the cut depth, Z increment, X/Y offset for starting point and more.

Here is a screen shot below.

Warren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sneakpeak.gif  

Way Cool - you make it sound like you'll be offering it for download? I can hardly wait! If the letters are very thin strokes, and you use a v bit, will it be cutting in the "engraving" style? Congradulations, thanks, and,
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Sounds interesting. I will also give it a try if you make it availible for download.

You could engrave using the software if you wanted. I mainly wrote it for cutting out letters but if people like it, I may expand it and add more feautres to it. Tomorrow I will be testing the creation of the gcode. Once that passes, I'll have it available for download the next day. I'll make a post when the web site is online and available.

Warren

embossed letters

hi all,

WarrenW,

thanks for sharing. I will be very interested in your little program, thanks.

THis might be a little off topic but,

I was wondering if you program would have be able to create the G Code to make the letters/words be the only thing left on the material?
    You could set the depth to 50% or 75% of the material thickness to create an embossed word/ letter.

Is there an easy way to do this???

CH

Fodder1, right now it does not do this but I may work on another program to do this next. I may create one where you can add the outter shape such as a circle, oval, etc. or none and then have letters inside and it will cut everything but the letters and up to the border (if added).

Everyone else also, I've just tested the gcode created by LetterCAM and it works great. It has settings where you can make multiple cuts based on the cut depth and the Z increment settings. And when you increase the precision for the letters, the curves come out so smooth!

I'll post when it is released this week.

Warren

WarrenW you may call me anxious to peak - I keep checking in on your site to see if its been posted and I missed it here! I'll just have to wait patiently - sighhhh
    Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Looks like a very interesting program. When you have it available let us know please.

Steven

I actually JUST finished it with the last few features. But I want to test it out tonight and hopefully will post it online by tomorrow afternoon. I'm heading out to the garage to cut some letters now for a test.

Below is a screen shot of it with the toolpath created.

Warren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails let1.gif  

Hi Warren,

I have just spent a while today looking for a new cam software that cuts the inside of the letter first as I always struggle to cut perspex lettering. I would be really interested in trying your software out....It sounds really great!
    well done on designing a software that can do this.....I wish i had the knowledge to have done this!

Hi Warren,

Is it possible to pull up a bitmap image on the screen and trace a tool path around it in the event that you have something that is not a real font. The software could even be expanded into something similar to a manual version of vcarve.

The web site is up and released! If you find an error, please let me know ([email protected]).

As I have said before, I did my best developing it but would be open to suggestions.

sdantonio, I do have another program that does this. Thats my next project so objects like clipart, etc. can be converted to g-code as well. I will probably incorporate it into LetterCAM and will be a free upgrade.

http://www.LetterCAM.com

Warren

Great software!

Hi warren,

I just downloaded your Lettercut software and have a couple of questions for you.

If I try and cancel an action I am doing it throws up an error message and closes the program down....this maybe because its just the demo version??

Also, I was hoping I could just use this software to generate the G code after I had drawn out the lettering in my usual design software? I always find other software cuts the outer edge first and have been searching for months to find something that cuts the centers first.

I will be very happy to register this software if it can do as I need it to. Initally it looks great!

Nice one!

What action are you trying to cancel? I'll take a look at it.

Right now it only creates letters that are entered in LetterCAM. What format is the lettering from your other software?

Warren

I fixed it. If you hit cancel on opening or saving a file, it showed you hit cancel. I changed this and uploaded a new copy on the web site.