584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > New Hermes Vanguard 7000

New Hermes Vanguard 7000

Hi All-
    Need to know if the printer port on this machine is wired to the standard for parallel printer ports? Am trying to figure out how to convert this machine to run on MACH3.
    Thanks,
    Rick 7702

Re: New Hermes Vanguard 7000

Rich 7702;
    the Hermes 7000 runs on dos not mac there may be a program out there to do this but I don't think so, win XP or older it run on a parallel port. hope this helps good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Rick7702 View Post
    Hi All-
    Need to know if the printer port on this machine is wired to the standard for parallel printer ports? Am trying to figure out how to convert this machine to run on MACH3.
    Thanks,
    Rick 7702
    No, it is very different.

This machine runs off a proprietary stepper motor controller of which was a combo of hardware and software and key, the unit will not function with mach3 only because of interface issues the lpt port was that interface means the control would store a gcode from software. I gutted my machine due to lack of support and dead key and not a fan of big companies and policies on helping a nobody!!! so gut it and put servos like I did much nicer

Like mentioned, this machine used pretty much junk internally compared to todays standards. I converted a V7200 with the EP module once.... And I did use the OE drivers. If you have an EP module, look for a 20 pin connector on stepper drive board, then map the following to a new DB25 connector. Then you can map your favorite control to it.

1 - enable
    2 - x step
    4 - y limit
    5 - y step
    6 - x limit
    8 - z step
    9 - z limit
    11 - z dir
    12 - y dir
    13 - x dir
    16 - connect this to +5v on power supply board
    19 - connect this to 5v common

Otherwise, do the right thing and toss all of the antiquated garbage. Use new drivers of your choice. You don't need much as I recall the motors requiring less than 2.5 amps.
    Chris L

Quote Originally Posted by datac View Post
    Like mentioned, this machine used pretty much junk internally compared to todays standards. I converted a V7200 with the EP module once.... And I did use the OE drivers. If you have an EP module, look for a 20 pin connector on stepper drive board, then map the following to a new DB25 connector. Then you can map your favorite control to it.

1 - enable
    2 - x step
    4 - y limit
    5 - y step
    6 - x limit
    8 - z step
    9 - z limit
    11 - z dir
    12 - y dir
    13 - x dir
    16 - connect this to +5v on power supply board
    19 - connect this to 5v common

Otherwise, do the right thing and toss all of the antiquated garbage. Use new drivers of your choice. You don't need much as I recall the motors requiring less than 2.5 amps.
    Thanks for the pin out, unfortunately I started working on my 7200 a month or two before this info was posted. My careful tracing and probing on the EP motor drive board roughly agrees with yours, I have two limit switches on the x and y axis in addition to the pins you list.

I have a couple more hours of work to put in before I'll have a running machine, but it appears that we agree on the pin out. My plan is to try using the old motor drive board because it doesn't cost me anything to try except some time and a little bit of wire and solder, if the Hermes driver doesn't perform I'll probably buy some third party stepper drivers, or sell the machine and try to find something with ball screws and servo motors.

>>>> My careful tracing and probing on the EP motor drive board roughly agrees with yours, I have two limit switches on the x and y axis in addition to the pins you list.

I would assume they are the X and Y PLUS limits. I forget whether they were initially just tied into the MINUS limits or not. At this point, it just depends on what control software you will use and whether you can configure them individually or not. Otherwise, on a machine like this, soft limits work just fine.

>>>> My plan is to try using the old motor drive board because it doesn't cost me anything to try except some time and a little bit of wire and solder,

Hey, they worked for me just fine. Probably 8th stepping at best, and all that was ever needed.

>>>> if the Hermes driver doesn't perform I'll probably buy some third party stepper drivers,

This machine is the perfect candidate for any of the Arduino type controls.... GRBL, TinyG, Smoothieboard, etc. Everything could be fit easily under the machine itself, and with the advanced motion algo, it would probably run like a rocket ship.

>>>> or sell the machine and try to find something with ball screws and servo motors.

Dont underestimate this thing,... especially if the work area is adequate for your goals. It is a HEAVY built machine. It is really made right. The accuracy and quality literally blows away any of the hobby class cnc machines of today. Nothing but high quality was used when these were built, with only the control being limited based on the era they were offered. The screws and antibacklash nuts are KERK style. Accurate, reliable, affordable. They ran with really good bearings and would provide literally thousands upon thousands of hours of service. For this style of a machine, I'll take these for screws anyday.

With a modern driver and some better motors, even steppers on this little machine could easily get over 250ipm, though because of the machines size, I dont know why one would need it.
    Chris L