585,727 active members*
4,026 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport Conversion (Which kit is best for just running imported gcode?)

Bridgeport Conversion (Which kit is best for just running imported gcode?)

I have a running Bridgeport R2E3 :-) I want to convert it to something that I can import the gcode from solidworks with camworks and run the code.
    I had in mind buying the ajax retro kit. But besides being pricey, I was told it's another $1,500, if I want to uplode gcode with subroutines to it. I don't know how much I would be paying for the centroid cnc software with mill cnc program. But perhaps I don't need it. Or something else is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ronderkis View Post
    I was told it's another $1,500, if I want to uplode gcode with subroutines to it.
    There is no truth to that $1500 charge. The subroutine & macro ability comes with all kits.

There is nothing else better than the AJAX. I am running it on a Series 2 Bridgeport and it is unreal. My other mill runs Mach 3 and Gecko's, and it is crap.
    You can start with the Mach control software, then upgrade to CNC11. It did not take me long to do that. Mach is home hobbiest stuff, the CNC11 is pro controller software.

The AJAX allows future addition of probes, direct DXF import, even ridgid tapping. It is as close to a "real" VMC control as you can get for your BP.

Some people have complained about their (AJAX) customer support in the past, but every time I e-mailed their direct tech support line, I got a prompt response. Only posts looking for help on the forums can be slow.

Excellent comparison. But how does ajax compare with the solidworks/camworks partnership?

I can use solidworks/camworks with my plamacam, using torch or router.
    I can use solidworks/camworks with my 3d printer.
    I would like to use solidworks/camworks with my bridgeportR2E3.
    Solidworks/camworks have a vary steep learning curve but I am half way there.

I hate to spend big $ on a conversion with fancy software just so I can send gcode to it.
    Please don't get me wrong! I am asking because I don't know, what the best way is???

It does not matter what Cad/Cam software you use. As long as it can generate Fanuc G-code to feed the AJAX. I happen to use Autocad/Inventor/InventorCAM. You purchase the AJAX because it is built to industrial standards, it has 30 years of development behind it, and it performs reliably day in and day out. It allows a lot of options, such as rigid tapping, that you just can't get with Mach. Not only that, it has some provisions to make knee mill conversions easier- such as operating the air solenoids and the lube pump. Worth every penny in my opinion....I am just a user and have nothing to do with the company. AJAX also has a Bulletin Board that you can get tech support on. Pay it a visit.

Good Luck.

I called ajax this morning and understand the software that comes with the conversion better. To outright buy the cncII software would cost about $550.
    They don't claim it's a cad/cam package but just a interface between your cam software and their ajax controller. (It can do a few basic cam moves)

$550 is a bargain compared to the $160 for Mach. It is a mature control package that seems to be bug free.

It comes with what they call Intercon, which makes programming quick tasks easy- in other words you don't have to go to your CAM package to mill a bolt pattern...or circular pocket. It has the common stuff built in it.

But what you are really buying is a controller.

You can start off with Mach to save a few dollars, as I did, and then purchase the upgrade at a later time. But I suggest just going for it if you can.

The AJAX hardware is second to none for DC servos. It is a motion controller and servo drive nicely integrated into one unit.

All AJAX is, is the DIY version of Centroid....

Polaraligned, are you into telescopes by any chance?

LOL...yeah...Currently starting a 28.5" Astrograph.

You can get the Mach plug in from Ajax, however....,,
    It is a little quirky, and some functions like feed hold don't seem to work well. The Ajax stuff itself is pretty straightforward and built well. I think with there software it would be a winning package for smaller machines like a BP.

ronderkis,

If you want a top notch controller then check with Bob Duart at CNCAUTO.COM

RFB

I am jealous!
    All I have is a small 14" mead rcx400 with wedge and trolley, out in my garage. Not near as big as yours but comfortable :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RFB View Post
    ronderkis,

If you want a top notch controller then check with Bob Duart at CNCAUTO.COM

RFB
    All yours for only $18,500....

Quote Originally Posted by ronderkis View Post
    I am jealous!
    All I have is a small 16" mead rcx400 with wedge and trolley, out in my garage. Not near as big as yours but comfortable :-)
    Wow, that is a nice SCT. My goto scope is a Celestron C11 that I purchased new in 1988. The 28" is something that will take a few years to get done.

I had to change my post. Its only a 14" not a 16"

STILL a pretty darn nice scope!!