584,830 active members*
5,933 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport series 1 MDI Heidenhain TNC 131

Hi Guys,

I've just got my series 1 MDI up and running after a long battle with a bad servo and some hefty replacement prices. My intention is to eventually ditch the old control and install 3 drives and run from a pc with the likes of mach3 or similar. Before anyone says, I know its a point to point machine and I know it can't currently do curves etc, but its a massive improvement in terms of productivity compared with my manual mill.

I'm trying to use the Heidenhain TNC 131 control for now and I'm having some difficulties... I struggled to even get the machine moving with a program, but I have that covered now. I wanted to test out one of the canned cycles just to make sure the machine is working as it should be. I've programmed the tool def, tool call, cycle def, cycle call and got the machine completing its program with relevant M commands, the problem is the quill is feeding the opposite way (up)?? I know its something I'm putting wrong somewhere with the positioning blocks or something, but it would be helpful if someone could give me an idea on why I'm having this trouble please? I've had it working the correct way once, but couldn't find out exactly what I'd done right or wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Assuming it's a pecking (drill) cycle, you need negatives on all the parameters to make it work properly, i.e. setup clearance should be negative, total depth, woodpecking depth - all zero. Otherwise your canned cycle will try to drill upwards... Oh, and don't forget you have to start the canned cycle from the clearance height (so if your clearance height is 2mm; make sure the drill is 2mm above the workpiece, and your canned cycle clearance is set to -2.

There's a manual for your control here: TNC 131