585,722 active members*
4,451 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Stock Coolant Tank and Tray Paint
Page 1 of 2 12

Stock Coolant Tank and Tray Paint

This afternoon the coolant system clogged up right in the middle of a job. This is the second time this has happened. The cause was the same as before: the stock paint in the tray and coolant tank had dissolved and formed a plastic like film which clogs the pump. The paint on the stock steel coolant tank and tray are really crap. This time I am scraping what loose paint I can get off and have applied Strypeeze a paint remover to the inside of the coolant tank and inside of tray. I would rather leave the steel bare than have that crap paint that’s on it. The idea that has been shown on this list of using a plastic coolant tank is looking very appealing right now.

Don Clement

The coolant system on both of my machines is an $8 14 gallon Rubbermaid storage container, a $30 Harbor-Freight 1000 GPH sump pump, and a pair of 1/4" LocLine nozzles. This combination works FAR better than the two "professional" coolant systems (one of which cost almost $400 from MSC) - FAR more flow, and FAR more pressure. I just removed the entire "factory" coolant system from my new mill, and replaced it with the above - a HUGE improvement in all respects, for barely $50 total cost.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    The coolant system on both of my machines is an $8 14 gallon Rubbermaid storage container, a $30 Harbor-Freight 1000 GPH sump pump, and a pair of 1/4" LocLine nozzles. This combination works FAR better than the two "professional" coolant systems (one of which cost almost $400 from MSC) - FAR more flow, and FAR more pressure. I just removed the entire "factory" coolant system from my new mill, and replaced it with the above - a HUGE improvement in all respects, for barely $50 total cost.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Thanks Ray. I am now seriously considering the Rubbermaid approach with the larger capacity PLASTIC tub. The stock pump has worked OK for six years; however more pressure can’t hurt either. In addition I would house the Rubbermaid tub beside my Tormach and could easily see the coolant level. Do you know the P/N for the HF 1K GPH pump? I still have a pair of 1/4" LocLine nozzles that I had tried on my Tormach but went back to the stock single nozzle because the stock pump wasn't powerful enough.

Don Clement

Everything you need is here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novako..._upgrades.html

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray,

Looks good. Thanks

Don Clement

What coolant is dissolving the paint?

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    What coolant is dissolving the paint?
    The two coolants I have used are Mobilmet S122 and ValCool VP650. BTW the paint on my Kurt D688 vise that has been exposed to the same coolant shows no effect.

BTW I just got the HF pump and CLEAR (so I can see the coolant level without level gage)Rubbermaid 66 quart. http://tinyurl.com/c2uvu3b Will try them out tomorrow.

Don Clement

I finished installing the new external transparent 16.5 gallon coolant tank with HF submersible pump on my Tormach. Works great! Thanks Ray.

No real modifications (e.g. drilling holes) to the Tormach were necessary. The minor modifications I did were to remove the door (shown against the wall), remove the stock tank and pump, cut the wiring to the stock pump and wire a 120VAC receptacle (shown above the door), add a rubber elbow to the drain and even reused the stock clear plastic drain tube at the end of the rubber elbow. Total cost was less than $50. The 120VAC receptacle and the rubber elbow were from my plumbing and electrical scrap pile. BTW Harbor Freight was not stocking these 1200 GPH submersible pumps on the shelf but had five units in the back.

Some really nice things about this set up are: transparent tank makes it easy to see coolant level, easy access for skimming tramp oil, no paint on the plastic tank, and just plain easy access.

Don Clement

Don,

Looks good. Now look at my thread on the Novakon forum, to see what I did today to improve return flow, and chip separation.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Probably what i will do when i get mine. Dont like the whole coolant under the cabinet thing. Plus as stated above, i would really like the easy access for skimming.

I never have had any trouble with return flow or chip filtering with my Tormach. In fact there was no need to modify the Tormach for that in any way.The main issue for me on the Tormach was the bad paint inside the stock coolant tank. IMO Tormach did a good job with their original drain filter.

Don Clement

What does the Tormach have for a drain filter?

Regards,
    Ray L.

The Tormach has a fine mesh screen kind of like a ’63 VW bug oil filter. The ’63 bug air filter used motor oil similar to K&N. My Dyson vacuum uses a vortex to separate out particles from air.

Don Clement

The tormach has a pretty nice drain filter, removable rectangular metal mesh. Probably 2"x5-6" or so. If only I had modified the table to divert all the water to that lovely drain before putting a giant machine on it.

That's interesting. I would've thought a fine mesh would clog up quickly. I'm always amazed at how easily chips can form a surprisingly effective "dam", and seriously restrict flow. What is the area of the filter? Is is fairly large?

Regards,
    Ray L.

I measured, the area of the mesh part is 3x9 inches. It takes a lot of chips to clog such a large drain. I've certainly had no problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GJeff View Post
    I measured, the area of the mesh part is 3x9 inches. It takes a lot of chips to clog such a large drain. I've certainly had no problems with it.
    That makes sense. The Novakon drain is only 3" round, though their new machines will have MUCH larger drains.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    That makes sense. The Novakon drain is only 3" round, though their new machines will have MUCH larger drains.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    The drain system on the Tormach has worked well for me for six years. The basic Tormach design has so many well thought out engineered things. I for one am very happy with my Tormach, also the ability to easily upgrade and modify on Tormach’s superb basic design. It’s no wonder why many non-Tormach owners monitor this Tormach list to glean information about Tormach engineering.

Don Clement

Quote Originally Posted by takewhatyoulike View Post
    It’s no wonder why many non-Tormach owners monitor this Tormach list to glean information about Tormach engineering.

Don Clement
    very well put Don.

Quote Originally Posted by GJeff View Post
    It takes a lot of chips to clog such a large drain. I've certainly had no problems with it.
    Here's what 300 GPH of (total) flow at the nozzles and a clogged chip tray look like:

Tormach PCNC 1100 - Clogged Chip Tray - YouTube

The basket has to be filled pretty close to the top to get this sort of coolant back up.
    Christopher Anglin
    www.mc2racing.com

Page 1 of 2 12