585,762 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Ferrous and Nonferrous

If anyone can shed some light on this subject. What is the difference in inserts when it comes to machining Aluminum vs Cold roll steel. Why are there two different inserts for the different materials. Basically what I am trying to say is why can't you use an insert that is for aluminum on Steel and vise verse? Any Technical data would be so much help. I just know that there are two different inserts for the job but I don't have much technical info to back it, I need to explain it to management so we can get the right inserts in this place and get the job done right.

I use inserts for aluminum all the time , and I was told that there is a different grade of carbide for aluminum versus steel , but there is also a different finish to them . The aluminum ones I use have a high gloss / chrome looking finish to them , and any steel ones I have used are the dull gray - looking carbide . The high sheen on the aluminum inserts is supposed to , and does , keep the aluminum from gumming up so bad on the cutter . I have tried using them on steel because my boss didn't believe there was a difference either , and the inserts got destroyed on the steel and it was just mild cold rold . Hope this helps , any actual data needed about the type of carbide used should be able to be found from the person your buying them from .
    VIPERDM100

Insert geometry is the main difference between inserts designed for specific materials and/or applications. Coatings and grades allow better performance but the geometry is the biggest difference. Insert manufacturers supply technical data in their catalogs and sometimes on their websites too.

Aluminum cutters in carbide of a machining operation require more clearance on the primary cutting edge plus more secondary clearance, than that of steel, they also have a less honed primary cutting edge. If you use a steel insert on an aluminum part it will create friction (heat) that will destroy the insert prematurely. If you use an aluminum cutter on steel it will desinigrate because it has no strength upon the cutting edge. Therefore, they operate upon two different planes. I know, it sucks, sorry..

hi machine1
    welcome to the machining zone
    regards the different inserts
    inserts for aluminium are a different grade of carbide and geomertry to those of steel grade
    and you run them ie: at different rpm and feeds
    because steel is harder then aluminium
    my advise to you is to check your spec on the inserts supplyed by your supplier
    same if you where cutting something that was very abrasive and tough check material spec i would be using cast iron grade inserts
    k (grade) because the inserts will stand stand some heat which the cutting action creates
    wait till you get to ceramics or diamond impreganated tooling then
    the sparks realy fly (pun)
    there is such a lot of data available regarding materials and inserts you need to study them which your suppliers will have
    but as a machinist will tell you its experiance that tells
    best regards
    peter